After turning off units they aren't recognized any more by PC

Hi All, my first post here. I am a total neophyte when it comes to this system. I have two mini XL+ systems and when I moved offices I turned them off and now when they are powered back up the computer doesn't see them anymore. I can login to the web interface for one of them and my router sees its connection, but the computer thows an error when I click the shortcut. The other unit is not even seen by my router so I can't get to the web interface at all. I'm sure this is common, but I am at a total loss. Thanks in advance for advice.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

As this seems most likely to be a network(ing) problem, please describe your network in detail, all devices and their connections, operating system of "the computer" that's not seeing them. In the move, did you chance gateways and/or ISP, or was this just a move within the same location?

I have a Windows 10 pro PC - ASUS GT-AX11000 Router - Spectrum gigabyte modem - a basic 5-port switch.
The two Mini Xl+ units are each plugged into the switch (same ports they always use) - allthe green lights are blinking on the back of the units as well as the switch. It's weird though that only one of the units is being "seen" by the router. I thought I had assigned them static IPs, but for some reason it looks like the "recognized" units IP changed, but when I type int he new IP I am able to see the interface on my browser. The second unit is even more curious because it's not being recognized by the router at all, hence the PC either.

Redcoat

MVP
So, one LAN cable from one of the two RJ45 ports on the back of each Mini to ports on the switch, one LAN cable from the switch to one of the four router LAN ports, one cable from the WAN port of the router to the Spectrum gateway modem, right?
Where's the PC connected?

Is there really link activity on the unrecognized Mini's LAN port and at the switch? Do you have another cable to try from the unrecognized Mini to the switch? If not, can you swap the cable from the recognized Mini to the unrecognized one and see if it is then seen at the router?

How did you assign the static IP's - by the Mini's LAN port MAC address at the router? If so, did you plug the LAN cable of the unrecognized Mini into the same port on the rear panel?
Same question for the recognized Mini I guess, as you say that its IP has changed from the previous configuration pre-move, presumably by DHCP...

So, one LAN cable from one of the two RJ45 ports on the back of each Mini to ports on the switch, one LAN cable from the switch to one of the four router LAN ports, one cable from the WAN port of the router to the Spectrum gateway modem, right?
Where's the PC connected?
The PC is connected to the switch also.
Is there really link activity on the unrecognized Mini's LAN port and at the switch? Do you have another cable to try from the unrecognized Mini to the switch? If not, can you swap the cable from the recognized Mini to the unrecognized one and see if it is then seen at the router?
I can't answer this exactly because it's not showing up on the network anymore at all (the green lights are blinking though). I did test the cable and it worked on my PC achieving full ethernet connection.
How did you assign the static IP's - by the Mini's LAN port MAC address at the router? If so, did you plug the LAN cable of the unrecognized Mini into the same port on the rear panel?
Same question for the recognized Mini I guess, as you say that its IP has changed from the previous configuration pre-move, presumably by DHCP...
Honestly it was two years ago so I don't rememebr how I did it, or even if I really did do it. I saw on my router that the connection to the recognized device says "static" so I assume I did that intentionally when it was set up because all the other devices say DHCP.

OK now this is freaky. I decided to simply tun of the unrecognized unit again and turned it on (for the fifth time) and now the shortcut suddenly works on the PC and I see all my files. My router still doesn't show it as connected to the network and I have no idea what the IP address is to see if I can reach the web GUI. And shortcut for the first unit, the one that IS seen by my router still doesn't connect.

...now I'm really freaking out. I turned off the first unit, powered it back up and now both units files are visible on the PC! I swear I'm not insane, I did this literally five times already... The weird part is the IP address changed on that first unit from .222 to .111 as evidenced by my inability to login to .222 now and the original .111 web GUI suddenly working again. Still can't find the web GUI for the second unit though and it doesn't show up in the router either, but I see the files in Windows... What the HECK?

...now I'm really freaking out. I turned off the first unit, powered it back up and now both units files are visible on the PC! I swear I'm not insane, I did this literally five times already... The weird part is the IP address changed on that first unit from .222 to .111 as evidenced by my inability to login to .222 now and the original .111 web GUI suddenly working again. Still can't find the web GUI for the second unit though and it doesn't show up in the router either, but I see the files in Windows... What the HECK?
Last update, I used ping to locate the IP address manually and fournd the web GUI. It's all magically working again after being down for a week...I have no idea what happened. Must be Redcoat's good luck charm?

Redcoat

MVP
I suggest you connect a monitor and keboard on the unrecognized Mini and attempt to boot it up - back to basics...

Failed boot drives are not unknown.

Redcoat

MVP
I suggest you connect a monitor and keboard on the unrecognized Mini and attempt to boot it up - back to basics...

Failed boot drives are not unknown.
Well, this post must have got stuck somewhere as I would not have sent it after reading the posts above.
Also, I just woke and realized that you have IPMI and don’t need to “hook up a monitor” as such so decided to post a comment along those lines.
Anyway, glad it’s all working for you again!