SOLVED After changing global dns all jails will not resolve hostnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargink

Cadet
Hi there first time forum poster long time reader i guess heh.

I have bumped into a issue that im not too sure how to approach. I have recently changed my dns entries in my global network settings which has worked without any issues on the host. However all my my jails that i have running don't seem to have picked up this change in dns. I am running the standard sab, sickbeard, and couchpotato plugins and since i have made this update on my dns it looks like they are still using the old entries. I have done some reading and from what its saying, they should be picking up the new dns entries from my global network settings. So my question is what would be the best approach to changing these settings on the jails? Any pokes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :)

Dusan

Guru
When the jail gets created the FreeNAS /etc/resolv.conf will be copied inside the jail. It seems it will never be updated even when you change FreeNAS network settings. To fix it run "cp /etc/resolv.conf <jail_root>/<jail_name>/etc/resolv.conf".

Vargink

Cadet
Thank you so much for assistance everythings working again! Man i was thinking you might have to access the jails via ssh and do all of this within their own environment, im glad that was not the case!

hervon

Patron
When the jail gets created the FreeNAS /etc/resolv.conf will be copied inside the jail. It seems it will never be updated even when you change FreeNAS network settings. To fix it run "cp /etc/resolv.conf <jail_root>/<jail_name>/etc/resolv.conf".
Got the same problem. Your tip solved it. Thanks!

bmcclure937

Contributor
Had the same issue as well. This tip worked, thanks!

SeaFox

Explorer
Just wanted to thank you. Recently on my Subsonic plugin, my scrobbling to Last.fm stop working after I had to update by NAS's DNS settings after a provider change. This was the needed solution. Kinda annoying I'll have to do it with all my jails now.

I'd like to note that bug has been marked as "Not to be fixed" now.

I will second that. I changed my LAN IP range when moving house and I've had the exact same issue that editing the resolv.conf in the jail to the new nameserver settings for my router has now resolved. If I hadn't found this thread I would've been rebuilding my entire Plex jail and I really REALLY didn't want to do that!

Thanks Dusan.

Osiris

Contributor
Same here.
This is NOT solved, structurally.
There's a workaround, not a solution.

Last edited:

TFAiSO

Dabbler
I can confirm that this is still happening on 11.1-U5

"cp /etc/resolv.conf <jail_root>/<jail_name>/etc/resolv.conf"
The above line resolves the issue. It took many many hours to figure out why Plex Media Server couldn't work and get outside access...The above little line resolved it all instantly.

tio

Contributor
Im on 2 hours sleep here, what does it look like copied and pasted without the <jail_root> >jail_name> etc?

Where do i paste this from? From within logging in via SSH at the standard directory, or do i go into the jails them selves by typing "jls" then putting this in?

Ive had a major issue with my configuration and i believe this will solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.