Subdomain and all subdomains routing to jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickR

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm totally new with FreeNAS, but I already find it the best solution for the stuff I want. I'm just itching my head because I can't figure out the last thing anymore that I need to make my FreeNAS set-up 100%.

Ok, here's the deal. I got a domain zzz.com. I configured a subdomain yyy.zzz.com, A record to my home IP, wildcard A record too. I can ping from anywhere, and it gives me my home address. So yyy.zzz.com -> home IP, xxx.yyy.zzz.com -> home IP, etc. Ok, until now all fine.

I configured my router so ports 80/443 will go to my FreeNAS host (192.168.10.200). Currently it's a VM, future will be a Intel NUC. Now the problem is I want different jails and they all need to run services on 80/443 but with different domains. To be more precise, I want yyy.zzz.com (subdomain web server), git.yyy.zzz.com (git server and gitlab on web server), other.yyy.zzz.com.

I do not know what I need? I'm totally confused and off track. I created jails, edited a lot of /etc/resolve.conf, /etc/hosts, no success. I think I need a DNS on 192.168.10.200, or just create a DNS jail 192.168.10.199, configure that to my router's port forwarding. But I tried it and probably did anything wrong.

Can someone push me in the right direction?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You need a proxy server for multiple services on the same port.

NickR

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response. So to be more detailed: create a proxy jail, own IP, configure the router to that jail IP and create proxy settings for all other jail IP's?

DNS has nothing to do with this basicly? Because I also want other protocols on different domains...

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is not a build by any stretch of the imagination. Moving to networking.

Josh2079

Cadet
Is configuring a proxy really networking?
Also what he needs wouldn't be a proxy server it would be a reverse proxy server. Problably NGINX or Apache would be the best bet to build a jail for it. I believe that there are multiple guides in the jails section for this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is configuring a proxy really networking?
Well, it's not a build, and we generally don't split hairs over where to place a thread. It's a server, all fields overlap to some extent.

Josh2079

Cadet
Well, it's not a build, and we generally don't split hairs over where to place a thread. It's a server, all fields overlap to some extent.
Fair enough...
Some quick searching on the forum shows at least 3 seperate guides on how to do what is being asked. Search for "reverse proxy nginx"
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.