AFP server name not broadcast in FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlavigne

If this is still an issue in 9.1.1, someone needs to add a comment to the existing bug so it can be looked at for 9.2.0. Otherwise, the devs will assume it is limited to 8.3.1 (the version listed in the bug report) which used a totally different plugins system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what to say. Most of our Apple users say to use CIFS because its more OS agnostic(you can corrupt your data if you share the same files with more than one file sharing protocol). Not to mention we have so few Apple users anyway.

Johhhn

Explorer
If this is still an issue in 9.1.1, someone needs to add a comment to the existing bug so it can be looked at for 9.2.0. Otherwise, the devs will assume it is limited to 8.3.1 (the version listed in the bug report) which used a totally different plugins system.

The bug that I've experienced with 9.1.1 is similar, but not the same as my AFP *will* broadcast sometimes.

Johhhn

Explorer
Not sure if you know this, or are taking this into account:

1- TimeMachine, the built-in backup program ALL macs have does not work with CIFS.

2- People that *don't* have problems, usually don't post that things are running OK

3- Simply dismissing an issue and telling someone to use CIFS is akin to telling someone to keep inflating their tires instead of looking for a leak and fixing it. :)

Once I do additional tests and gather more data, I will submit bug reports.

I don't know what to say. Most of our Apple users say to use CIFS because its more OS agnostic(you can corrupt your data if you share the same files with more than one file sharing protocol). Not to mention we have so few Apple users anyway.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure if you know this, or are taking this into account:

1- TimeMachine, the built-in backup program ALL macs have does not work with CIFS.

Actually, one of our mods will probably be posting in a minute telling you that it works just fine with CIFS as he uses it. I have no idea if there's any strings attached or its limited to only certain versions of the OS. But he's said it works great for him and I think he's said he's been using it that way for most of this year.

2- People that *don't* have problems, usually don't post that things are running OK

True, that's why I said we have so few Apple users. You can't get good support for things that only 20-30 users on the forum use.

3- Simply dismissing an issue and telling someone to use CIFS is akin to telling someone to keep inflating their tires instead of looking for a leak and fixing it. :)

Not true at all. I'm telling you to change out that crappy tire. I'm telling you to change out AFP with CIFS. If I told you to keep trying to get AFP working I think that would be telling you to keep inflating the tire. And if the few other users that have had problems with AFP is any sign of your chances of success you'll give up and go to CIFS because you'll eventually give up when you decide you've put enough time into it that you just want the "darn thing to work".

I don't have a Mac. I'll never own a Mac. Proprietary stuff isn't always a good thing(as you are seeing firsthand). AFP is very much proprietary. I have yet to ever see AFP be offered on non-Mac devices. So if you think ahead about this at all you'll realize that CIFS is a better choice "just in case you have a non-Apple device someday". I believe that even includes cell phones and tablets but I could be wrong.

So I can't say much of anything about how to help you except to provide some info on past users and what their solutions have been. That's all I've done. Don't shoot the messenger.

Johhhn

Explorer
Not true at all. I'm telling you to change out that crappy tire. I'm telling you to change out AFP with CIFS. If I told you to keep trying to get AFP working I think that would be telling you to keep inflating the tire. And if the few other users that have had problems with AFP is any sign of your chances of success you'll give up and go to CIFS because you'll eventually give up when you decide you've put enough time into it that you just want the "darn thing to work".

I don't have a Mac. I'll never own a Mac. Proprietary stuff isn't always a good thing(as you are seeing firsthand). AFP is very much proprietary. I have yet to ever see AFP be offered on non-Mac devices. So if you think ahead about this at all you'll realize that CIFS is a better choice "just in case you have a non-Apple device someday". I believe that even includes cell phones and tablets but I could be wrong.

So I can't say much of anything about how to help you except to provide some info on past users and what their solutions have been. That's all I've done. Don't shoot the messenger.

1- Using TimeMachine with non-AFP can be done, but it's not a straightforward approach- hence not a good idea to deploy to end-users.

2- Don't you think it would be more useful to gather data and let the developers know. I've used AFP on other non-macs before- windows servers and linux, with -zero- issues. Hence, I know it *should* work in this environment as well, otherwise I would delightfully use another protocol.

a- there's a bug
b- here are the details to reproduce it
c- please fix it

2- Your reasons for not owning a Mac, etc., is of no bearing to me and probably many others here- but keep preaching on! :)

3- Thank you for your input-- it is always appreciated!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
2- Your reasons for not owning a Mac, etc., is of no bearing to me and probably many others here- but keep preaching on! :)

Actually, I'd say it has a significant bearing. If you were using CIFS you'd have virtually every mod and plenty of users that could offer advice. I've helped plenty of users with CIFS. Even going so far as to volunteer my time with them on skype and teamviewer.

But keep sticking your fingers in your ears while I "preach". I'm sure that'll make afp work so much better!

Johhhn

Explorer
For someone that enjoys dishing it out, you sure seem to have thin skin! :)

I think it's wonderful that you have helped many others. However, that doesn't necessarily mean one should dismiss something simply because they do not possess the knowledge to help others with said problem.

No fingers in these ears! Just because I choose to ignore your personal reasons for not purchasing something, doesn't mean I don't listen.

I've been in this business far too long to engage in the tireless PC/Mac debate "I don't have a Mac. I'll never own a Mac. Proprietary stuff isn't always a good thing(as you are seeing firsthand)"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thin skinned? You should definitely get to know me. I'm very thick skinned and I don't put up with dumb stuff in the forums(not that I'm implying you've done dumb stuff). I just have better things to do with my time than argue over alot of the stupid stuff. When I am very bored or feel like teaching someone that probably shouldn't even be working in IT something I'll write a long post.

There's a reason us mods have created all the stickies we have. We're all volunteers. We don't get paid to do this stuff. We don't bother fighting people that want to do stupid stuff(again, not implying you fall into that category). My time is worth too much to me to sit and go through an argument on forums over it. If %randomuser% wants to go do everything we tell you not to do in the forums, have a ball. Don't be upset when you lose your data. We tried to warn you. You can only lead a horse to water. If you don't want to drink, then fine. But if you die of dehydration don't come crying in the forum. We definitely don't do sympathy here. Just look at the threads of people that do several very very stupid things. They quite often get zero responses despite at least 2-3 mods reading every single post in the forum. I have no guilt about closing a tab on my browser when someone tells use they used non-ECC RAM, virtualized FreeNAS with RDMs, and their pool that isn't backed up won't mount and the entire company is at stand-still and the business will go bankrupt if they don't get it back up and recover all of the data. I know that all of the other mods kind of have the same attitude. It's obvious without discussion when those threads get zero responses but have 30+ reads.

In your case, I can't help you with your issue except to say to go to CIFS. I've said it. You've provided reasons to not use it. Those choices aren't valid arguments in my opinion, but that doesn't invalidate your choice or argument. It's your choice to make and as the administrator for your server, you've made it. Unfortunately, there's almost always a tradeoff when you have different options. If it wasn't a tradeoff the choice would be clear to everyone and the other choices would fade into the sunset.

Johhhn

Explorer
Your reply of 'sticking fingers in ear' and how quickly you seem to get excited often points to one with thin skin. But, as you pointed out, you have very thick skin (lotion! ;) )

I hope to have a solution to these AFP problems once I get some extra time to troubleshoot further-- I'll keep you all posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.