AFP server name not broadcast in FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedeissler

Dabbler
After upgrading to FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452) the AFP server name is no longer visible in Lion or Mountain Lion (the most recent Apple versions of each). You cannot connect by using "Connect to server" AFP://servername either.

You can, however, connect using AFP://192.168.1.2 and then all the shares become visible and once a share is mounted the server shows up in the shared section of the finder's sidebar. Once connected everything works as you would normally expect. So the server is sharing files correctly it's just not broadcasting it's name (maybe I'm using the wrong term here - but I hope the idea is clear....)

Just a guess but I think FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452) may have broken netatalk.

Any one have any thoughts or solutions ?

Thanks.

mikedeissler

Dabbler
Yup, Went back to 8.3 and everything works again ! 8.3.1 has a bug with AFP.

seggerman

Dabbler
Hi,

Running 8.3.1 and everything works for me. Basically I upgraded from every version starting with 8. Never changed the config and "it just works".

mikedeissler

Dabbler
Hi,

Running 8.3.1 and everything works for me. Basically I upgraded from every version starting with 8. Never changed the config and "it just works".

Hey Seggerman, we've also upgraded since 8.0... I think you may lucky so far - there's a long thread on the paid support forum where IX suggests rolling back to 8.3 - the problem appears to be intermittent and more prevalent with many macs on the network - (we have 108 here....) and, if I read correctly, there is something new with netatalk in 8.3.1 that may be causing it.... But hey, if it's not broke....

Mik

mikedeissler

Dabbler
Seg,

We just got a suggestion that we turn off the plug-in jail... That restored the network broadcasting so we're back on 8.3.1 but running without plugins - don't know if this is an issue with the 32bit version or not.... Ciao

seggerman

Dabbler
Mik,

I don't run any jails or plugins, so basically a vanilla FreeNAS. This might be why it works for me.

mikedeissler

Dabbler
Mik,

I don't run any jails or plugins, so basically a vanilla FreeNAS. This might be why it works for me.

Dear Seg,

8.3.1. seems very stable otherwise - and I'm not sure whether this is the result of an Apple update or if it's improved in 8.3.1 (maybe it did this in 8.3 and I just never tried) but the CIFS shares now resolve immediately with no issues in reading or writing.... which is great news for our accountants. Thanks for you interest - rock on.

m

motoxer913

Cadet
I'm having the same issue. As soon as I enable my Plugins and use DLNA on my FreeNAS my AFP dissapears off the network and my time machine backups are unable to find the FreeNAS shares. Even if I manually connect by IP time machine still cannot backup. My only work around is to completely disable the plugins and turn off DLNA which is highly annoying.
So, I'm guessing this is a bug and not a configuration issue?

mikedeissler

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue. As soon as I enable my Plugins and use DLNA on my FreeNAS my AFP dissapears off the network and my time machine backups are unable to find the FreeNAS shares. Even if I manually connect by IP time machine still cannot backup. My only work around is to completely disable the plugins and turn off DLNA which is highly annoying.
So, I'm guessing this is a bug and not a configuration issue?

Hey Motoxer,

I guess it's a bug, we were using some other BSD apps not miniDLNA but I've been using Serviio (serviio.org, I think...) for DLNA for some time for media streaming and love it. You mount a media share from your freeNAS (Mac, Windows or Linux BTW) and point Serviio to the local mount point (ie /volumes/yourmediashare/music; or/video or/photos) and it works great on a 1GB network - even seems to keep up when using laptops on a wireless connection too - it's free and you may want to use that until this issue is sorted out... I think it must have something to do with the jail bridging if the network connection - but well over my head....

Good Luck, Mik

D

dlavigne

It would be useful to add a comment to that effect on the above referenced bug.

STRAMIGIOLIS

Dabbler
Same Here. I have been struggling with this issue for a while now and I finally found out in this blog I am not the only one. FreeNAS champions, please help us. Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, has a ticket been written on the actual issue? Is there any indication what is actually going wrong besides "its broken"? If either(or both) of these are "no" then I doubt anyone is looking at the problem.

Keep in mind that another Mac user a month or so ago said that AFP is going away next MacOSX release, so why resources would be spent on a dying protocol is a little beyond me too.... ;)

Why not go to CIFS now since that's going to be the new preferred protocol?

STRAMIGIOLIS

Dabbler
Thanks a lot for replying. The problem is that the TimeMachine does not work anymore in version 9 because it does not see the TimeMachine AFP share anymore. I tried to delete all shares and start from skratch creating a share as afp TimeMachine, but no matter what I do, the MAC does not see the share. That is why I need the AFP share. Any tip? Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I got no tips. And very few users here use Mac, so help is scant at best. :(

D

dlavigne

Whoever posts the ticket, please note the ticket number here.

abd4897

Cadet
Thanks a lot for replying. The problem is that the TimeMachine does not work anymore in version 9 because it does not see the TimeMachine AFP share anymore. I tried to delete all shares and start from skratch creating a share as afp TimeMachine, but no matter what I do, the MAC does not see the share. That is why I need the AFP share. Any tip? Thanks in advance

If you mount your share manually, then go into Time Machine > Select Disk, you will be able to select your share.

The way you can do this is opening a Finder window, selecting Go > Connect to Server. Then, connect to your share by entering afp://ipaddress/sharename and clicking Connect. So in my setup I enter afp://10.0.1.2/timemachine and connect to that.

From there, set up your Time Machine as you normally would, your share will be visible to select.

Johhhn

Explorer
Is anyone else still have these issues?

It's been fine for a few days and I enabled a jailed plugin last night and just a half hour ago the above problems happened on my FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35).

Running 10.8.5. I'm hoping to deploy this for a small group but if it can't be stable for a few machines, not sure what to expect of it.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.