What keeps over writing my jail resovl.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

anika200

Contributor
Hello All,

I have FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452) installed with mount points using UFS and running a jail. I have installed DNSmasq and it is happily resolving all my internal and external names/ips.

However, my jail /etc/resolv.conf file keeps getting reset or over written to the localhost defaults. My external google and isp name server entries are removed and only "namesever 127.0.0.1 and namesever localhost.net" are left.

It has happened on a server reboot and also today when I was fiddling with the root email settings via web GUI or possibly when adding some torrents to the transmission plugins.

Does anyone know what could be happening to resolv.conf?
Is there an easy way to track down the culprit?

anika200

Contributor
Thank you for looking at this post.

Ok, this is getting crazy.

My jail resolv.conf just re-set itself out of the blue, no interaction of any kind. So basically I got a solid couple hours since my original post.

Something is over writing my jailed /etc/resolv.conf......... What the *&^%%

I guess I will have to set the servers in /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf and forget about the /etc/resolv.conf. But that actually defeats the purpose of my local dns as it will go directly to the outside which I do not want...

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for looking at this post.

Ok, this is getting crazy.

My jail resolv.conf just re-set itself out of the blue, no interaction of any kind. So basically I got a solid couple hours since my original post.

Something is over writing my jailed /etc/resolv.conf......... What the *&^%%

I guess I will have to set the servers in /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf and forget about the /etc/resolv.conf. But that actually defeats the purpose of my local dns as it will go directly to the outside which I do not want...

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Ahhh, I realize now that I had changed my network config from the GUI just before my last post.

Sooo, does changing network settings via webGUI change the jail resolv.conf file?

anika200

Contributor
replying to my own post.

It appears that doing certian things from the webgui will actually over write the /etc/resolv.conf file inside the plugins jail. I guess I took the meaning of jail too literal.:)

Anyway, the solution for using DNSmasq for local caching and forwarding is as simple as changing a setting in the dnsmasq.conf file. You can specify any resolv.conf file you want so just make one somewhere else change the dnsmasq.conf setting and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.