AFP or SMB on Mavericks client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I'm new to FreeNAS and I am on the verge of giving up on it entirely as I can't even figure out how to get it to work. I originally set it up using CIFS and I was able to connect to my various shares and their datasets, but didn't get much farther. I tried to install Plex plugin but couldn't figure out how to get that to work and I've pretty much come full circle as I have no idea what I'm doing. So let me tell you my situation, as briefly as I can, and hopefully you can help me out.

I have a desktop and laptop, both running Mavericks. I also have an HTPC running windows 8.1 for the sole purpose of running my Plex client. I have a quota'd dataset for each computer so that I can use a finite amount of space for backing up each machine. The rest of the volume is set to another dataset which I plan on using solely for storing downloaded media and playing that media through Plex.

I am the sole user on each machine and with the exception of the HTPC I use the same username on both laptop and desktop. So my question is it better to use AFP or CIFS? From my understanding Apple is ditching AFP for SMB 3, or already have done so for the most part in Mavericks.

Maybe most of my frustration is coming from the impossible that is 'permissions' but I can't get anything to work how I want it to and the permissions for dummies sticky is not very informative as it is for a specific configuration that does not apply to me. I've tried consulting the FreeNAS documentation, but there is so much stuff in there, but when you find the relevant information, it isn't detailed enough.

I don't know what I'm doing at all and I can't for the life of me make sense out of any of this. I was previously using unRaid which was a piece of cake to setup and it just worked. I moved to FreeNAS because of how powerful it is, ZFS and all that great other stuff, but I can't figure out how to get started. There are so many people using it for the same thing but it seems like there is no step by step that can get a complete noob like me to where I need to be.

Please, please, please, someone help me before I lose my mind.

Last edited:

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Yes I did. Took a lot of trial and error, but after spending hours on trying to configure the thing and then wiping it and starting over, some things started making sense. I decided to use CIFS/SMB. AFP is a fine alternative, but AFP is not going to change where as SMB/CIFS is being continually developed. If I want to use it for Time Machine backups, I would be forced to use AFP, but you can create a different dataset for that, so any other shares can still utilize CIFS.

D

dlavigne

Good! Just a note that TM does work on CIFS as well, though having separate datasets can be useful for that purpose.

pjc

Contributor
Good! Just a note that TM does work on CIFS as well, though having separate datasets can be useful for that purpose.
With what versions of Mac OS X does that work? Have you found any anecdotes or data that suggest it's reliable?

Fraoch

Patron
With what versions of Mac OS X does that work? Have you found any anecdotes or data that suggest it's reliable?

Yes, exactly...there are 3 Macs here, two run Mavericks, one Snow Leopard. All can see the CIFS shares but none are able use them as a Time Machine backup. As soon as I made an AFP share, all were able to use it as a TM backup.

Haven't upgraded any to Yosemite yet, perhaps the situation has changed, but that would be quite recent.

D

dlavigne

It looks like it is very version specific. I have in my notes that time machine used to work with Samba on 10.8, but stopped working in 10.9, but I have not tested this yet.

pjc

Contributor
That was my impression. I don't get the sense that it's as reliable as AFP. I suspect Apple will eventually move Time Machine to SMB2, but it's not there yet, and certainly anything earlier will still need AFP for Time Machine.

Does iX have any Macs for regression testing?

IPBrian

Cadet

I am really interested in this...currently I am running OS X 10.10.1, but Time Machine cannot see my CIFS shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.