adding new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpy

Explorer
I'm trying to add a new hard drive I just recently installed.
LINK
I read the wiki page and if I read it right, to extend a volume I go to Storage -> Volumes -> Volume Manager. My issue is that no drive is popping up to select in the drop down.

I'm wondering, maybe the default Filesystem type is non-compatible? It's been a long time since I set this up, but I feel like this had something to do with it before.

Also note, all of the hard drives are the same.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to list the specs of your system, how your current drives are formatted in your system, RAIDZ1 or something like that. Special considerations are if you have a ZFS pool and you are extending the pool with a single drive, you should be aware of the hazards to your data if you lose that one drive.

If you're drive isn't showing up, ensure it's showing up in the BIOS first. Maybe you have it disabled somehow.

jumpy

Explorer
Ok my bad. Yeah what I'm trying to do is extend the ZFS Pool with a single drive. I'm not sure of the hazards but I can guess that if I lose the one drive, the stability of the whole pool will be at risk of destabilising and could lose everything? Or just the data on the single drive?

At this point it doesn't matter. It's way too much data for me to backup to redo the whole ZFS Pool to fit this one drive. And I only have 20gb left in space. It's mostly all media anyways.

So you're suggesting I reboot the system, go onto the MB BIOS and check to make sure there aren't any options disabling the new drive?

Code:
Build:        FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M)
Memory:      32GB - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Hard Drives:  3x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200
Filesystem:  RAIDZ1 (I believe)
CPU:          AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then you should buy another disks and add it as a RAID1. Then you at least have redundancy from 1 disk failure. Adding a new disk as a single disk to a zpool is playing with fire.. and Murphy's law says you're going to get burned. If that 1 disk fails you will lose the entire pool. Not some data, but everything.

budmannxx

Contributor
Code:
Build:        FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M)
Memory:      32GB - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Hard Drives:  3x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200
Filesystem:  RAIDZ1 (I believe)
CPU:          AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz

You may also want to try upgrading to FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2 to see if that fixes the problem with the disk being recognized. Buy you should definitely follow @cyberjock's advice first to protect your data.

jumpy

Explorer
I didn't know that putting up 2 disks at a time would prevent that. I'll hold off until I buy a new drive then. In the meantime I'll see about updating to the new release..

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: There's no easy way to update to the newest release through the software is there? I don't have a CD drive. lol

jumpy

Explorer
Found it - Firmware update :D

edit: I'm getting an update error. should I post it in a different sub forum?

Code:
Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://192.168.1.195/system/firmwizard/?iframe=true&X-Progress-ID=39e1d49a-b7d3-4471-841d-9df8f5444c67 Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response 105. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view 166. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 20. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view 48. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch 223. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch 69. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post 286. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done 328. done_response = self.done(final_form_list, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/system/forms.py" in done 134. retval = notifier().validate_update(path) File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in validate_update 2003. stderr=subprocess.STDOUT, File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py" in check_output 537. process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py" in __init__ 679. errread, errwrite) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py" in _execute_child 1249. raise child_exception Exception Type: OSError at /system/firmwizard/ Exception Value: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Status
Not open for further replies.