Adding Disk To Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

tla

Cadet
I have a volume the currently has one 3TB drive and one 4Tb drive in Stripe mode. I would like to add a 3rd 3TB drive but I am unable figure out how to accomplish this. The info I have found is a bit contradictory and now I believe I might have made a boo boo. Here is what I did.

Physically installed the new drive. Under Storage > View Disks the new drive shows up, all info the same as the other two drives.
I went to Volume Manager, selected the volume I wanted to extend and under the Available Disks area the new drive was there. When I clicked the Extend Volume button I got and error message indicating I was trying to add a vdev with two drives to a vdev with one drive. This is just from memory, not sure of the actual message. Searching I found a post somewhere that indicated they had the same problem and by using Manual Setup the process worked so I did that. I did not receive any error messages but the volume was not extended. So now.

The new drive still shows up in the View Disks area
Under View Volumes, the volume still shows only 6.2TB available - the original amount before I started this process.
Under Volume Manager, if I select the volume to extend no drives are available.

If anyone can help me get out of this predicament I would greatly appreciate it.

Thefarelkid

Cadet
Some screenshots would probably help us figure out your situation. I would add that your setup has no redundancy, and if you poke around here at all, that is a HUGE thing with this community. You will thank us later. If I were you, that 2nd 3tb drive should be mirrored with the first once you get this sorted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

tla

Cadet
It appears the drive is part of that volume. ada3 is the new disk.

upload_2017-6-12_15-37-55.png

Here is the volume info: I have a small solid state drive for ada0 that I used to store all the configuration info, jails, etc. I wanted the Media volume to be that and that alone.

upload_2017-6-12_15-39-23.png

As for the redundancy, I actually have two FreeNas boxes. Both are set up as stripped and I have a file sync program that backs up everything from one to the other. A raid solution is nice but something very bad happens it will not protect the data. Ideally the 2nd FreeNas box would be in a different location but...... Maybe some day I will set them both up using raid.

I just realized I had a brain fart. The Used amount did not change but the Available amount did. Crap!!

So is using the Manual Setup option the correct way to add a disk to a volume?

Thank you for such a quick response.

Thefarelkid

Cadet
I won't say I've never made that mistake. Good to know regular backups are in place. Good on you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
So is using the Manual Setup option the correct way to add a disk to a volume?
Kind of. If you had an existing two-disk stripe with disks of the same size, the volume manager probably would have let you add a third of the same size. But with mismatched disks, you'll usually need manual setup. If (God only knows why) you actually want to add a single disk to a RAIDZ vdev, you'd need to use manual setup for that as well.

Stux

MVP
Congratulations on creating a 3 way stripe on purpose. That error message was designed to slow you down.

Please ensure you have scrubs and smart tests setup on both your boxes, as you are one UBE away from losing the lot when a disk fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.