Adding more strorage after 8x4TB in Z2

rajkumar

Dabbler
Good evening,

I have 8x4TB WD RED NAS Drives on a LSI controller working 100%. no issues.
I need to Add more Storage.... option..

1) 8x4TB REDS (can do) but expensive.
2) 8x8TB REDS (cannot do) and very expensive expensive.
3) can I add 3 Drives @ 3x8TB in raid5 (raid z)???
4) can I add this to my existing POOL/TANK??? using vdev....will require a post/thread for a step by step to follow. Live data. Want to add not messup my existing Data.
5) deed to do it within 24hrs as am at 90% capacity with data waiting to be added...downloaded to the pool....
6) BTW will be adding the new drives on the internal sata ports (6 of them all free),,,, planned this for this day , lol... hope my choice is okay.

thank you all in advance for the swift replies which I get always.

Thanks.

regards.

Rajkumar.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Probably the best option, if you have space for another eight disks. Will double the capacity of your pool and also increase performance.
3) can I add 3 Drives @ 3x8TB in raid5 (raid z)???
Yes, but strongly discouraged.
can I add this to my existing POOL/TANK?
Of course. https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-U5/storage.html#extending-a-pool
5) deed to do it within 24hrs as am at 90% capacity with data waiting to be added...downloaded to the pool....
Not safe. Any disk you put in service should be burned-in and tested first. https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester112:hvalid_hdd

rajkumar

Dabbler
thank u danb35!!! appr. the swift reply.
burn-in mean what _smart -t short conv long?? or a DD?? Kindly link me to the right link .... :).

I have space for another 5 using a kingwin that will take about a month to arrive in India! The USH price is okay but add about 150-300% for shipping and duties, :((((.

How about me adding another 2 drives in mirror for the time being. will attach to my mobo sata ports. Will fix the drive to the hanging space where I plan to attach the kingwin.

Talking out of context, should I [[{{(( invest in a 24 bay chassiss))}}]]. I am kinda of a data hoarder!!! its about 500 USB plus another 150% at the min???

will going for a 8TH x 4 be better for the future as file sizes' are increasing at a huge pace for video!!!

Jessep

Patron
The links in danb35 post show the way:
Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide (Legacy GUI version) (New GUI version)

Do not do things the cheap and quick way, you will regret it.

This is your best bet even if it requires a new case.

If you absolutely cannot do that right now I would suggest 6X8TB RaidZ2 in a DIFFERENT NEW pool, not your current pool. Once you add something into your pool that is not ideal you cannot remove them.

It sounds like at your current growth rates you would be better suited to be looking at greater than 100% increase in space or you will be facing this same issue again shortly. Have a think on reducing your growth rates or adding the enough space to last you several years.

rajkumar

Dabbler
Thank you Jessep.

I am adding about 2TB a month of my finished projects. This is kinda conservative.

Ideal is for me to get 8x8TB in Raid Z2. This would provide me with peace of mind.

But as a rule RAID is not a backup, so when I add capacity, add cost of Drives for backup (USB EXTERNAL).
Thus 8x8TB should give me actual space of about only 40 TB. This thats 4TB externals into Prob 9.
Thus cost would be be like
20k x 8 + 8k x 8 = about 3000 to 3200 USB in India (YUCKS) :(. plus another controller card with cables would be about another 200 USD MAX.

This is like a 12 month collection project 4 me. Will try hoarding and saving less.

But can a cheaper solution be reached.

How about adding another HP310 Controller in IT mode.
adding 8 x 4 TB WD RED NAS Drives.

Adding into new Pool and then we can have.....
2 x 8 x 4TB WD REDs = 40TB capacity with 4 drive failures. BUT CAN WE NOT WASTE 4 DRIVE AND GET BY 2????

THIS IS MT MAIN QUESTION!!!

rajkumar

Dabbler
would appreciate feedback, before I take the plunge tom with mulla in hand!!!???

Jessep

Patron
Redundancy is at the vdev level not the pool level. You would have (x2) vdev each with (x2) drive redundancy, or yes (x4) total drives worth of space in the pool used for this purpose.

It's not ideal to use vdev width over (12) drives. 6-8 drives per vdev is usually ideal for balancing performance vs. capacity.

HDD as backup of larger pools isn't ideal unless you need the capability for failover or quick recovery. Look at LTO-8 (LTO-M8). M8 are 9TB raw, more with compression, designed for long term storage, and a TINY fraction of the cost of HDD backup of your main pool. Tapes are under $100 each, it's only the initial drive cost that stings.

CraigD

Patron
I am adding about 2TB a month of my finished projects. This is kinda conservative.

Ideal is for me to get 8x8TB in Raid Z2. This would provide me with peace of mind.

You need a minimum of 24TB usable space, 8x8TB in RAIDz2 will work great

16x4TB drives will also work (2x 8 wide RAIDz2 vdevs) a SAS Expander may be needed (US$10-15) along with cables, a JBOD will also needed if your case is physically to small to fit the drives

A backup system will double the number of drives required, if your data is important, you need an offsite backup for disaster recovery

Have Fun

Stux

MVP
Ideally you add another 8 way Raidz2.

This can actually be made out of 2 or 4 physical disks for the moment.

Basically you partition the disks then build you vdev out of those.

Then when you can actually get the disks, you can ‘replace’ partitions with whole disks.

Messy. A pain. But does work.

Would perhaps allow you to upgrade to 8TB disks. And give you time to start thinking about a 24-bay 4U case

rajkumar

Dabbler
Thank you
Stux,
Jessep,
CraigD

for your suggestions.

Planning the Following....
1) will upgrade from my current 7400 i5 CPU with a z270 Mobo and 64GB of normal 2400 RAM to

a) 8/10 Core Xeon with hyperthreading X 2 CPU (big upgrade!!!)

b)An Original Intel Mobo supporting the Above CPU - either a Xeon Bronze or Silver. Getting some super deals.
Both the CPUs (2pcs) and MOBO (Brand New) for about 800USD from a supplier who has over stocked and needs to get rid of some inventory.

c) 128GB of ECC DDR4 RAM @ 2666

Also getting a platinum SMPS (FSP) @ 1200W. (I think this would do, Should I get a redundant power supply?

d) Storage
i) Raid z2 8x4TB WD RED (purchased already {new}) connected via server grade cables along with a Dell 310 Card (IT MODE).
ii) Raid 1 (mirror) 2x4TB (Non NAS) normal Seagates (connected to MOBO) - - - Couple of years old, about 4000hrs)
iii) Raid z1 (Raid5) 3x8TB (1xWD RED) + (2xToshiba Enterprise Drives)

Kindly pls let me know every ones' Thoughts/Ideas on the above, especially on the vdevs, etc!!!

BTW, Seems ECC ram here is cheaper than GAMING RAM!!!! (BTW---DDR4)

Regards and Thank you.