adding more shared folders within one ZFS pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvldwg1986

Cadet
Greetings to all,

I am a newbie and looking to migrate from Windows Home Server v.1 to FreeNAS v.8. As I have been using WHS for a few years I have a need for 5 shared folders within the pool like WHS i.e. Music, Photos, public, software and Videos. So my question is can this be done within the ZFS pool or must I have 5 separate ZFS pools containing one shared folder for data folders listed above?

ProtoSD

MVP
It can be done from a single pool. It's not required, but creating a separate dataset for each share is a good idea. It will allow you to fine tune more settings, like snapshots and permissions.

dvldwg1986

Cadet
Thanks Protosd!

Can you advise how I can set up separate folders in the pool? I tried and and each of the folders contained the same data as the original folder. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
there are a few different ways of accomplishing this. as proto already mentioned, probably the best method is using datasets, otherwise, just create a new folder within your base share and share it out.

i find datasets to be best for my setups, so i have a dataset within the volume, and label it the same as a share, then i use the cifs shares to share that dataset.

it sounds like you are creating windows shares and giving each one a new name but pointing them all to the same mount point (/mnt/zfsvolumenamehere/) rather than pointing each of those windows shares to their own datasets or folders within that mount point (/mnt/zfsvolumenamehere/movies, etc). keep in mind that just because you create a share called MOVIES, in your windows share, if you point it to the root of the folder and not its own folder, you are just creating new share names, not folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.