Sharing minor issue

DeeAirJay

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm a newbie in the NAS/Linux world, so my question may seems dumb...
I have successfully installed FreeNAS 11.3 on a desktop.
I managed to changed its IP address, to add disks, to create a pool with 2 disks of 2Tb
I created a Dataset, a user and 5 shares.
My user access all shares folders, I can add and delete files in it (so the permission seems ok).
But my issue is that when I add a movie in the Movies shared folder, then I have the movie file into all my shared folders (Books, Series, Music and Manga).
It is like all my folders were only different shortcut to the same folder...
How can I do in order to have different folders for each category?

Thanks a lot in advance

Are you adding the videos from within freenas or are you acquiring them in windows and copying them over? Can you post the screenshots of this from each share. This is likely a path issue. I would instantly check that you have not used the same path for each share.

You should be adding a dataset (folder) on the freenas system for each share, named appropriately; otherwise all files no matter which share you put it in from windows will end up in freenas on your single dataset (folder); which in turn makes it show up in Windows in each share. Then you will specify in the share settings those newly created datasets (something like /mnt/pool/Books /mnt/pool/Series /mnt/pool/Music etc, etc) which correspond to the share.

Make sense?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-02-07 19-16-24.png
    Screenshot from 2020-02-07 19-16-24.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

DeeAirJay

Cadet
Are you adding the videos from within freenas or are you acquiring them in windows and copying them over? Can you post the screenshots of this from each share. This is likely a path issue. I would instantly check that you have not used the same path for each share.

You should be adding a dataset (folder) on the freenas system for each share, named appropriately; otherwise all files no matter which share you put it in from windows will end up in freenas on your single dataset (folder); which in turn makes it show up in Windows in each share. Then you will specify in the share settings those newly created datasets (something like /mnt/pool/Books /mnt/pool/Series /mnt/pool/Music etc, etc) which correspond to the share.

Make sense?
Hi John,

First, thanks a lot for your reply!!
In fact I had transferred videos from my Windows laptop (from where I downloaded the files) to my FreeNas shared folders.
I attached 2 screenshots of 2 shared folders with the same content (I just transferred the file to the Movies folder)
How can I modify my pool/dataset in order to have the 'correct' behaviour?

Thanks

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-08 202446.png
    Annotation 2020-02-08 202446.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Annotation 2020-02-08 2024462.png
    Annotation 2020-02-08 2024462.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 198
My pleasure sir, welcome to FreeNAS!