Adding in a gigabit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSkippie

Dabbler
So i have added in a gigabit card into my media server. it picks it up no problem.
So now i have an issue. i can only access it when it is in DHCP, if i give it an IP i lose it, on both interfaces.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Define "lose it". If you do ifconfig and the interface still shows as "up" then the settings you are using are incorrect for your network.

You gave no hardware or software versions so I really can't help you more. Feel free to take this opportunity to read the forum rules for things that are useful to include when starting a thread.

ShadowSkippie

Dabbler
When i say lose it i mean longer can see it on the network.
on DHCP everything is fine, i give it a static address and the console tells me i can connect via the new static address but ping do not pick it up at all. all this happened after i installed the new NIC.

as for the machine spec:
  1. FreeNAS version i believe is version 9 64bit
  2. I can tell you the CPU is a 3.0 Ghz intel and it has 16bg ram, anymore will require me to go all the way over to the server room and pull the box from the rack and open it up just to get you the mobo info.
  3. The new network NIC is a tp-link but i think it uses a realtech chipset
Code:
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        ether e8:94:f6:02:76:91
        inet 192.168.0.141 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,master>)
re1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        ether bc:5f:f4:c2:3d:69
        inet6 fe80::be5f:f4ff:fec2:3d69%re1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
ipfw0: flags=8800<SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

that is a copy of the ifconfig. here's the kicker, re0 is the onboard int and is not plugged in. i am currently connected to re1.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep, that's realtek. Aka not worth even troubleshooting further. We know Realtek doesn't work on FreeBSD/FreeNAS so you pretty much have your answer.

Try an Intel NIC and see if that works better (hint: It certainly will).

ShadowSkippie

Dabbler
Interesting.
Realtech is normally your go to "works with everything" chipset

Anyways, thanks for the help

I've taken the machine out of the network (good thing is its the backup server) and taken it back to the PC store.
They are going to source an intel chipset NIC for it

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Realtek works with everything if "everything" means "Windows". Realtek is otherwise complete crap. In fact, if you don't have a rather powerful CPU you might not even be able to get full Gb speeds.

gpsguy

Even with an Intel NIC you might still run into networking issues, with 2 NIC's.

If 192.168.0.141 was the address you set statically, then you put the address on the wrong interface. It's on the onboard NIC and you are trying to use the other one.

When you get your Intel NIC, you'll need to ensure that you configure the right interface. If you have problems, look at ifconfig. If you aren't using the internal one - perhaps you can disable it in the BIOS.

that is a copy of the ifconfig. here's the kicker, re0 is the onboard int and is not plugged in. i am currently connected to re1.

no_connection

Patron
re1 is the Asrock and re0 is the tp-link according to MAC.

ShadowSkippie

Dabbler
What? It swapped?

well that may just explain why it was giving re0 the IP instead of re1 when i had the network plugged into the Addon NIC.
If that is the case then i need to head back to the PC store and run another test with that card.

maybe i can get this working today.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Interesting.
Realtech is normally your go to "works with everything" chipset

I've taken the machine out of the network (good thing is its the backup server) and taken it back to the PC store.
They are going to source an intel chipset NIC for it

"Works with everything"? For certain values of "works" and everything being "Windows and, if you're lucky, Linux". Intel is the typical "works with everything" solution. You can pretty much buy any Intel GbE (10GbE still has some bugs, though) adapter and it will work in pretty much any OS.

ShadowSkippie

Dabbler
Okay. it works.

You see i work a lot with ubuntu machine and never have i had this issue with the network card before so i was not expecting it.
When i started diagnosing the problem i started with the presupposition that re0 must be the onboard because it was the first card setup and the off board being re1 as i had just added it.
I never expected then to swap around.
After taking that into account (and also disabling the onboard) i got the other NIC working.

gpsguy

While you got it working, an Intel NIC will probably outperform your tplink. An OEM Intel Pro/1000 CT costs about $30 USD.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.