Added Disks for a new raid - were added to exsitsing volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

notatwci

Cadet
I think I really messed up here.

I started having issues with my single drive so I thought I had better look at setting up a raid. I do not want to lose all my data. I added 2 3TB drives in the hopes of making them a raid 1 and then moving everything over to them.

As I went through the GUI I somehow added them to my existing single drive, both are mirrors of it. After about 2.5 hours of Google I'm done for the night. I've found lots of info on replacing a drive. But none on removing one from a volume. I've seen comments about clicking the disk "offline" button in the GUI but I do not have that option. Same for "Volume Manager".

FreeNAS and command line are not my day job but it is a fun hobby for me. I just wish I didn't make it so dang hard. :)

Currently running FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

notatwci

Cadet
So I'm I missing something simple here? Why do I not have an option for making a disk "offline" or have a "Volume Manager"?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's the exact version you are running?

I'll tell you why I didn't respond when I first read this post(don't take it personally). In the manual it says that you need at least 6GB of RAM for ZFS. But since you are using the i386 version you definitely aren't using more than 4. I see so many people using less than the manual recommends and then complain I just ignore people that can't follow the manual.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi notatwci,

The short answer is you can't remove drives from an existing volume without destroying it.

In short, you are boned...best thing you can do is to back everything up (borrow an external USB drive or something) and recreate the array.

Also, 8.0 is ancient. Once you get this sorted out I would very much encourage you to update to 8.3.0-p1!

-Will

notatwci

Cadet
No offense taken. I jacked up, I need to figure out how to fix it. When I built it I had intended to run the version before 8, 7 or .7? I don't remember now. I think I remember the RAM issue when I installed 8 but everything booted and worked so I forgot about it. I did get over 2 years out of it before I had drive issues.

OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386

Status
Not open for further replies.