Add lftp to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipsum

Dabbler
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be within the realm of possibility to add the lftp package to FreeNAS?

I know I can install it via a jail, but I'd rather not set one up just for this package and deal with potential issues. I would very much like to keep my FreeNAS install as 'vanilla' as possible.

I am asking since lftp is the only CLI program I know of that (reliably) supports multi-threaded/segmented file transfers. I do regular backups of remote web development servers, and need lftp in order to fully saturate my connection. Unfortunately, in my case, a single-threaded transfer is limited to about 200KB/s. Not ideal for imaging servers, to say the least. Increase that to 32 threads, however, and things are looking much better...

If the answer to this request is 'we don't want to open this potential floodgate of users asking for software to be added just because they need it', that is fair enough.

Just thought I'd ask :)

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Create a feature request (that includes your reasoning for its benefits) at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

L

L

The thing about your request is that you could load an additional package by hacking freenas... But freenas is intentionally designed with jails to do what you want by the use of jails. Jails is the answer. It is far quicker and cleaner.

ipsum

Dabbler
My system is used in production, and as such will never be 'hacked'. I also feel uncomfortable setting up a jail; I'd like to keep it as vanilla as possible.

I don't think lftp is too exotic to be included; my request/question stands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.