AD Users Not Populating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elegant

Explorer
Hi, I'm currently setting up FreeNAS so that it uses 'AD' as the idmap backend when connected to Active Directory. This of course means groups and users must have their GIDs and UIDs set in the UNIX attributes through ADUC.

The issue is that any user provided with a UID does NOT appear in the owner user list while all groups DO appear in the owner group list. All these users can be seen with 'wbinfo -u' but when running 'getent passwd' they do not appear in the listing. This looks like it might be a bug but I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue first.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi, I'm currently setting up FreeNAS so that it uses 'AD' as the idmap backend when connected to Active Directory. This of course means groups and users must have their GIDs and UIDs set in the UNIX attributes through ADUC.

The issue is that any user provided with a UID does NOT appear in the owner user list while all groups DO appear in the owner group list. All these users can be seen with 'wbinfo -u' but when running 'getent passwd' they do not appear in the listing. This looks like it might be a bug but I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue first.
Sounds like a bug. I don't think there are many FreeNAS users in the forums who have their servers configured as AD member servers. Of that demographic, the majority probably sticks with the RID idmap backend. File a bug report and post a link to it here.

Personally, I default to making my datasets owned by root:wheel (even in an AD environment), then adding ACEs for "domain admins", etc. This prevents chown operations from accidentally taking away access for domain admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.