AD Authentication timeouts not fixed by GUI setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudobolt

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I wanted to document this issue in case it's occurred for anyone else -- or in case I'm doing something wrong and someone can point out what. I've solved my problem, but found what might be a bug in the FreeNAS GUI.

I have been having a problem with AD Directory Services refusing to start, with the following messages in /var/log/messages:
Code:
freenas ActiveDirectory: AD_status_domain: net -k ads status home.lan
freenas ActiveDirectory: AD_status_domain: Not okay

It appears to be the same problem as in this thread and this thread.

After reading those two threads, I updated the timeout parameters in the Directory Services GUI to 60 seconds, but found it still didn't work. By reading logs I eventually discovered /etc/directoryservices/ActiveDirectory/config which contained
Code:
ad_timeout="10"
ad_dns_timeout="10"

Editing this file manually and changing them both to 60 seems to have fixed my problem.

However, opening the GUI and changing the values to 45 hasn't updated the file -- it still says 60. I'm confused as to why this is the case -- FreeNAS bug? It kind of looks that way.

Anyone with more experience than me, please weigh in!

Footnote: I'm using the latest freeNAS 9.2.1.3 x64 Release that I downloaded yesterday. I'm running it in a VM under Virtualbox to test my network setup etc before my server arrives this weekend.

Pseudobolt

Dabbler
Update. So, it seems that this is likely not a bug in FreeNAS but merely a case of PEBKAC. Reading through the manual / install instructions, I realised that I was running FreeNAS from a virtual HD, but using the USB image. I know the USB does funky things to write-protect the root filesystem while pretending it's still R/W, and I think that was the problem. When I reinstalled FreeNAS using the install CD image, the GUI correctly updates the timeouts in the config file.

Lesson learned: RTFM! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.