Active Directory Share Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylex

Dabbler
I have joined FreeNAS to the AD server and I can get a user and group list with the wbinfo -u/g commands.
I am at the point where I have a CIFS share created, and I can get into it using AD credentials.
However I cannot write anything to it.

I was told there are some command line tools for setting Windows ACL permissions, (similar to chmod/chown) but I cant seem to find what those may be.
I want to simply set the owner and permissions for my root$ share to the Administrator account of the Active directory environment, and set the rest of them from there.

Any attempts I have made to change ownership and permissions of any thing have resulted in errors I never see within Windows SMB.
"An error occurred while applying security information to:

\\192.168.0.253\root$

The security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object."

Forgive me if this topic was posted already, and if I am not giving enough information. I will share anything I can to help get this resolved.
Thank you!

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
Hi Xylex. Here's what I used for a workaround on my test ZFS dataset permissions. Nothing would stick in the GUI even if I was lucky enough to choose my AD username from the owner (user) dropdown list. The only thing that sticks is the Unix or Windows ACL type. I obviously changed mine to Windows. The only way to get owner (user) or owner (group) settings to stick is if the ACL type is Unix before you change it over to Windows ACL type.

My workaround was setting the permissions via command line:
> chown "DOMAIN.COM\myusername":"DOMAIN.COM\domain admins" /mnt/pool-0/cifs0.
Then, > chmod 770 /mnt/pool-0/cifs0.

At that point the GUI displayed the permissions I had just set via CLI correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.