Accessing files via the UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a version of FreeNAS, it's 9.2.0, I do believe.

Anyway, in this instance, the server is at 192.168.1.20, I cannot access any files or folders from any machine when using the IP address at the RUN line in Windows. So I logged into the admin console to look at files from there and I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how I can browse the files that are stored on this NAS.

Help, please!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Smb is usually the easiest. Did you create a share? What hardware are you using? Did you read the manual? Go read the manual!

danb35

Hall of Famer
So I logged into the admin console to look at files from there and I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how I can browse the files that are stored on this NAS.
FreeNAS does not include a GUI file browser, so the reason you can't figure out how to do this is because there's no way to do this.

Alecmascot

Guru
You can browse your files from the GUI Shell.
The storage is mounted to /mnt and you can navigate from there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can browse your files from the GUI Shell.
Yes, good point. And you can use Midnight Commander to make it a little easier--type mc at the shell. Still not a GUI way to do it, but better than nothing.

Edit: Oops. mc is included with recent versions of FreeNAS (starting around 9.10, IIRC), but 9.2 is very old and doesn't include it.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm looking at a version of FreeNAS, it's 9.2.0, I do believe.

Anyway, in this instance, the server is at 192.168.1.20, I cannot access any files or folders from any machine when using the IP address at the RUN line in Windows. So I logged into the admin console to look at files from there and I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how I can browse the files that are stored on this NAS.

Help, please!
Is this a new build or a system that is malfunctioning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is this a new build or a system that is malfunctioning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Well since it's 9.2.0 I would assume it's been running since 2013. Unless the OP doesn't know what version they are actually running.

How can you have a system up for 4 years and never access the data.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How can you have a system up for 4 years and never access the data.
Indeed, that is what prompted my question. It is a situation description that doesn't make sense.

Alecmascot

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.