macOS Shared Network Trash

kittonian

Cadet
I am trying to figure out a solution for a small business file server with all macOS desktop clients. Unlike Windows, where you share a drive over the LAN and when a user deletes files/folders the Trash/Recycle Bin is used, macOS permanently deletes the file from the network drive after displaying an alert.

Additionally, when using applications such as Apple Pages or Numbers, and accessing a file from a network drive, an alert constantly appears saying it cannot automatically save the file, interrupting the user's workflow and insisting that the user click the "Save Anyway" button in order to proceed and save the file.

I am not interested in a Synology or QNAP based solution because I cannot be tied in with another company when it comes to managing our files.

I am aware of snapshots, but that is very different than a trash/recycle bin. Users accidentally delete the wrong files/folders all the time and I do not wish to constantly roll back to snapshots when this happens. These shares are for all of the company's documents the user may access, not just their own files/folders.

I am certainly happy to build a nice machine with hardware RAID, etc. running TrueNAS if it will solve these issues and provide our LAN with a real file server, but I wanted to find out if this will work for our needs as I couldn't find any documentation on these issues.

If TrueNAS is not the correct solution and there is a better one, please let me know.