Absolutely HORRIBLE transfer rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
I finally got everything set up on my server, have a bunch of stuff on my array, and tried my first CIFS transfer. Mind you it was WAN 802.11g. My maximum transfer rate was 1.9MB/s I was sending a 16GiB file. You do the math, I didn't want to. 1.9 was with AIO disabled, with AIO enabled I achieved the blistering rate of 1.5MB/s...

My laptop is the primary means that I have for transferring data to/from the server and will be a majority of what accesses it. I didn't attempt a LAN connection only becasue WAN is what I am interested in in terms of the use of this laptop.

Please help me in dialing this in.

ProtoSD

MVP
WiFi??? Lots of variables, and wifi sucks (in my opinion) for doing anything if you're in a hurry. If I want fast and reliable, I always use a cable ;-)

Sorry, I realize that doesn't help much. I also realize it should be a little faster, but get all your tuning done with something concrete and reliable (hard wired), and then throw in the WiFi variable.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
Yes sir. :p

TapRackPull

Dabbler
OKAY, so try this, file size is actually 14GiB.

On LAN I am only pulling of 10.4MB/s with...
AIO is unchecked
Support for large RW is checked.
Send files with sendfile(2) is checked.

On LAN I am managing 10.6MB/s with...
AIO is checked
Support for large RW is checked.
Send files with sendfile(2) is checked.

Suggestions now??? ;)

TapRackPull

Dabbler
FWIW, here is a screen shot of 'top'... Lot's of unused RAM...

top screen lan config.jpg

TapRackPull

Dabbler
The switch is GigE, but the laptop is 10/100.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
Well call me naive... I imagined 10/100 would yield 100... I'm healthcare not IT...

ProtoSD

MVP
So the 10.6MB/s is nearly the max your laptop can send, with my 10/100Mb switch I peak out about 11MB/s.

So how far from the router are you (wifi), anyone else using it too? Is it 2.4 or 5ghz? What brand is it? Could be a setting needs tweaking.

Note: Under perfect conditions the max for 801.11g is about 2.75 MB/s, are you sure your connection hasn't dropped down to a slower speed for some reason? Just another thought.

Ok, ignore that note: 801.11g operates at a maximum physical layer bit rate of 54 Mbit/s exclusive of forward error correction codes, or about 22 Mbit/s average throughput (2.75MB/s)

TapRackPull

Dabbler
I am using a linksys e4200. I have both 2.4 and 5GHz enabled. - Although I am connected at 2.4GHz. Weird cuz the laptop is b/g/n. I'm sure there is a setting that needs changed to connect me at 5, but. Again I'm healthcare not IT...

The laptop is 25 ft form the router. The only device connected via WAN in the house is the iPhone. For purposes of experimentation I can switch off WiFi if needed.

ProtoSD

MVP
Uggh, I updated my previous post instead of just posting again. Look at my updated-update.... seems like 2.75MB/s is the max you should be getting? 22Mb/s = 2.75MB/s

ProtoSD

MVP
Yeah, my laptop has b/g/n, but doesn't have a 5Ghz radio, so it does the N at 2.4Ghz.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
Wow, that sucks...

Thanks, I guess I will connect via LAN whenever I have a bunch of stuff to move.

That is a trully horrific number... Like Sara Palin for president scary...

As always I appreciate your help.

ProtoSD

MVP
LOL! Yes, they are almost the same kind of truly horrific! I think I might favor your router!

I never really worked out the wifi numbers before, I just new it sucked. Now I know how bad....

pauldonovan

Explorer
Well call me naive... I imagined 10/100 would yield 100... I'm healthcare not IT...

Yes, but you're comparing (100) apples and (100) oranges :smile:

The network card is 100 megaBITS and you're expecting 100 megaBYTES. Since a byte=8bits (plus a bit more for overhead where networking is involved) you're looking at around 100/8, in megaBYTES, which is 12.5 megaBYTEs.

I hope that explains it a bit better. To use a healthcare analogy, I'd hope you'd give me a dose of 100 milligrams rather than 100 grams ;-)

Paul

TapRackPull

Dabbler
Yeah, I guess the capital vs lowercase 'b' is sorta important, huh. Mb/s vs MB/s. I never claimed to be observant. Just good looking. Thanks for setting me straight you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.