980 PRO 8TB M.2 Gen 4 - $58.25 USD ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Okay this is crazy talk but if it's true, I hope someone can take advantage of this.

AliExpress is touting an 8TB Samsung 980 PRO Gen 4 M.2 module for only $58.25 USD. That is freakin crazy. I really wish I need a hand full of these and I'd order them.

The marketing page is questionable. I feel like it's a scam or big screw up as they list all four capacities for the specs (1TB, 2TB, 4TB, and 8TB). The only thing specifying the capacity is the image when you purchase it, nothing in writing. To change the product you must click the Color selection (very odd).

Here is the link:

If you get an 8TB drive, please post, I'd love to hear if it really worked out.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
With the track record of USB thumb drives being sold at capacities that are significantly smaller than advertised I'd be shocked if you actually got a 8TB drive for that price let alone an actual Samsung drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, very common scam these days, though they usually avoid trademarks, instead going for a similar look.

The actual "product" tends to be one of:
  1. Completely fake (the not-so-metaphorical microSD card hot snotted onto a PCB with a PCIe card reader) and pretending to be much larger than it is
  2. Mostly fake (real SSD, but much smaller capacity and stupidly slow)
  3. Vaguely usable, but insanely crappy
Given the difficulties associated with 8 TB M.2 SSDs, I'd name 1 or 2 as the most likely options.

joeschmuck

Old Man
With the track record of USB thumb drives being sold at capacities that are significantly smaller than advertised I'd be shocked if you actually got a 8TB drive for that price let alone an actual Samsung drive.
I just took the plunge and used PayPal so I can dispute it if the sale is a scam. Just one piece as I could use it in a portable USB drive case. I will test it once it shows up and report once it arrives. I took a screenshot since the actual capacity was not listed on the receipt. It would be nice it it really is the correct product but I will need to wait for it to show up.

EDIT: In the order details it states that if the item does not ship in 9 days and automatic refund will be generated. We will see.

EDIT2: I downloaded the Invoice, it does state an 8TB drive, however the price is $447.37. PayPal only authorized $62.33 so I can see this is going to fail unless I get lucky and they honor the advertised price.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Samsung only lists capacities of up to 2TB on the website for the 980 Pro............

I think you've been duped.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, one thing is guaranteed: It's a scam. Which scam? That's for the lucky contestant to guess!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Samsung only lists capacities of up to 2TB on the website for the 980 Pro............

I think you've been duped.
I'm sure I have. I'm fairly certain they will not ship me anything. Good thing for PayPal.

Stux

MVP
Wowee, 1 sold. And now its offering me the discounted price of 17.19AUD (like 10 bucks US) for an 8TB 980Pro... wow. With a free bonus gift King-USB 1TB MicroSD card too.

SamirD

Cadet
The reason these scams exist is because people will order even just to find out. Kinda like ransomware--if someone out there pays out, then it will still exist. Scams never exist in a vacuum. ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
LOL, I have a shipping notice. Lets see what I get. I'm curious if it will be marked as 8TB and what the firmware will report. I will report back once I have it in hand. I'm curious if there are any 8TB drives in development and these are some sort of prototypes, initial run. Eh, I will know soon enough.

SamirD

Cadet
I think your result will be either option 1 or 2 that Ericloewe posted. :wink: Will be interesting to hear which scam it is though.

rvassar

Guru
LOL, I have a shipping notice. Lets see what I get. I'm curious if it will be marked as 8TB and what the firmware will report. I will report back once I have it in hand. I'm curious if there are any 8TB drives in development and these are some sort of prototypes, initial run. Eh, I will know soon enough.

FWIW... I have held 24+Tb U.2 SSD's in my hand, but we're talking in car terms... 2024 US SUV $$$$ pricing.... Each... As for 8Tb I'd expect in the $1k to $5k region. The good news is it collapses rapidly with node size. We should all be complaining about SSD longevity vs. the good old days by 2030 or so... :wink:

tony95

Contributor
I actually got a 2TB 980 PRO on Amazon for $68 in November 2023. It only had about 200 hours on it. That is the best deal I have ever seen on a 980 PRO. I didn't even really need it, just bought because of the price. Using it today and working fine. But yeah there is no 980 8TB, definitely a scam.

Koop

Explorer
Page appears to be dead- Either a deal too good to be true, a scam, or an AliExpress mystery prize. I am excited to see what you get if anything @joeschmuck .

I've ordered plenty of things off Aliexpress- just always expect the worst and never expect to return haha.

Have had decent luck with an affordable layer 2 switch- of course the OS defaults to chinese but you can toggle on english. It can do the basics and hasn't exploded so I can't complain.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It of course was being shipped from mainland China. It should be here in the next month or so. No money has been removed from my bank account yet. Maybe the thing will not show up at all. Who knows but time will tell. If I received an 8TB NVMe, or even a 4TB, I'd be happy. Anything smaller is a complaint. And I'd have to verify the warranty as well. Could be a knock-off.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes I do, power efficient. But this purchase was a "too good to be true" order. The tracking number says delivery 8 March. I have no idea what I will get, could be practically anything. I'm expecting the worst and prepared to dispute it, but if by some stroke of terrible luck it turns out to be an 8TB NVMe, I will test it and verify it can actually hold 8TB of data, or at least 7.5TB.

Koop

Explorer
Yes I do, power efficient. But this purchase was a "too good to be true" order. The tracking number says delivery 8 March. I have no idea what I will get, could be practically anything. I'm expecting the worst and prepared to dispute it, but if by some stroke of terrible luck it turns out to be an 8TB NVMe, I will test it and verify it can actually hold 8TB of data, or at least 7.5TB.

I'm rooting for ya! Hope it's real.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It says it will be here on 8 March however it is in customs right now, could be a while. I'm not holding my breath but I'd be happy with 4TB if that shows up as well, but an 8TB would be better and a nice temporary data transfer drive, one proven it works. But I will update once it shows up, whatever it is. Could be two 4TB drives wrapped together with electrical tape:wink: