PCIe Gen-4 M.2 Carrier Card

adityaharsh

Dabbler
@adityaharsh what about these?

This one almost looks like the ideal card that would work out for me, thanks a lot Patrick.
I'll try to contact the seller to cross verify the details.

adityaharsh

Dabbler
Good Luck, I'd like to see a photo of everything installed if you purchase something. A picture is worth a thousand words they say.
Definitely, will post it in this very thread. I love to see other people's setup and share mine as well. It somehow gives a positive vibe for the homelab passion

adityaharsh

Dabbler
@adityaharsh what about these?

Found this card on Alibaba from some local manufacturer in China. Cross checked the specs and it's an Gen-4 x16 Card with Bifurcation to x4x4x4x4 configuration.
1000065293.png

Davvo

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
Now I want to buy two of these cards and plop eight 4TB Gen-3 NVMe's on them to replace my hard drives.
I priced it out and I spent more on my six 2TB WD RED's in 2011 that this would cost me now. Three of my four drives in my nas now are over 6 years of age (3y 19d over warranty). I'm keeping this NVMe option in mind for when any of my drives start to fail on me. I am drooling now, I can't believe I'm hoping for a drive failure soon. I need to make a spreadsheet on these parts and keep looking for good prices/sales. I also want to ensure the NVMe's support L1 and more so L1.2 power mode (very low power mode).
Fan appears to be easily serviceable as well.
I'm not a fan of having a fan on the adapter. I'd rather have passive cooling, but that could be a problem with these all packed into a small space. All of the adapter cards I've actually like were full height which does not meet the OP's requirement. I'm sure something is out there.

Davvo

MVP
I'm not a fan of having a fan on the adapter. I'd rather have passive cooling, but that could be a problem with these all packed into a small space. All of the adapter cards I've actually like were full height which does not meet the OP's requirement. I'm sure something is out there.
Agreed. A big point in an easy serviceable fan is that it's easy to remove.

joeschmuck

Old Man
A big point in an easy serviceable fan is that it's easy to remove.
I agree there. This is much easier than replacing a laptop fan, no fun there but I've done it a few times. The other concern is the ability to find a suitable replacement fan. But I know they are out there, it just may take a few extra days to obtain it. Now I'm stuck on bifurcation on my MB. Trying to figure out what it actually supports. Arg! Give me a few more hours to pull the rest of my hair out, then I'll ask for help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With Xeon E3 you're pretty limited. 8/4/4 is supported in specific scenarios, IIRC, but 4/4/4/4 is an absolute no-go.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for the information. I don't want to take over this thread so i will stop here.