9.2.1.7 CIFS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi,

I am having an issue with CIFS not starting on my FreeNAS system. I am a bit of a noob so please forgive me!

I have so far spent 6hrs trying to resolve the issue and found some great info on the Forums and in the bug tracking system - but I still cant resolve the issue. Some of the things I have tried - I have downgraded to 9.2.0 and that didn't work, I have reinstalled the img on to my USB that the system runs from and that didn't work either!

My set up is -

HP Proliant Microserver N54
2MB Ram
2 x 1TB WD HDD's set up to mirror in RAID 1

I have run Testpram and got the following -

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[freenas]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: state directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
WARNING: cache directory /var/db/samba4 should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Now I can see an issue above which relates to Samba4 - but I don't understand how I can change the permissions to 0755

Am I on the right track with this problem and if so how do I change/add permissions?

Thanks in advance

Paul

diskdiddler

Wizard
Paul, you shouldn't be using 2GB of ram, I used an N40L and an N54L and I use 8gb of ram. The nutters on this website will insist you need 17 terrabytes of ram for it to work reliably (you don't) - but 2gb is a bit ridiculous.
If you are using Win32 Disk Imager (what I used) and a stock standard version of the program (the .ZX? XZ file?) - extract that IMG and burn a fresh USB, then set it up from scratch and CIFS is breaking, I'd be very inclined to believe the issue is the RAM, especially on a stock setup.

Recommend you try from USB initially for testing, assuming you're not?

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi diskdiddler

Thanks for replying.

I have been using this setup for well over 12 months now without any problem - I did notice a couple of days ago when I was trying to sort some files out on my setup that I could move/edit/delete files in files (if that makes sense) but I couldn't create a new folder at the top level of the directory or even rename an existing file. This has never happened before!

I reformatted my USB stick last night and then I used Win32 to install a fresh copy of 9.1.2.7 onto it and then started again and I am experiencing the same issue with CIFS

Regards

Paul

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi

Ok so it looks like I have fixed the problem by following this -

Find and destroy the .samba4 dataset (mine is on 'volume1'):

1. Select 'shell' ### or ssh, putty, etc
  2. execute the following commands
    [root@flatline ~]# zfs list | grep .samba4
    volume1/.samba4 2.61M 545G 2.61M /mnt/volume1/.samba4
    [root@flatline ~]# zfs destroy volume1/.samba4
    [root@flatline ~]# rm /var/db/samba4
  3. Restart CIFS
    Select 'Services'
    Toggle cifs to 'on' position

Which I found here - https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4194

Time for some testing!

Regards

Paul

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Paul,

You are taking considerable risk by having 1/4 of the minimum RAM for FreeNAS. Be warned that people have had sudden corruption of their zpools as a result (which is why the minimum RAM was increased from 6GB to 8GB with FreeNAS 9).

Status
Not open for further replies.