9.10 Windows permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3VCl3

Cadet
OK so i got my server up and running, got a volume created and a dataset on that volume. User and group are created as well as windows share. I can see and open the folder on my windows PC but when i try to copy any thing I am told i dont have permissions. I have gone through maybe 5 different walk through's from this site and others and still windows wont give me permissions. when i go into the properties of the share folder on windows to give permissions I get an error and it wont let me change the permissions. Am I missing something?

Freenas 9.10
i5
Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3
12gb ram 1066 ddr3
500gb master
3x2tb storage

Update- OK Now on the freenas box SMB service is off and wont turn back on i just get " this service could not be started".

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
OK so i got my server up and running, got a volume created and a dataset on that volume. User and group are created as well as windows share. I can see and open the folder on my windows PC but when i try to copy any thing I am told i dont have permissions. I have gone through maybe 5 different walk through's from this site and others and still windows wont give me permissions. when i go into the properties of the share folder on windows to give permissions I get an error and it wont let me change the permissions. Am I missing something?

Freenas 9.10
i5
Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3
12gb ram 1066 ddr3
500gb master
3x2tb storage

Update- OK Now on the freenas box SMB service is off and wont turn back on i just get " this service could not be started".
Did you see these?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-samba-cifs-permissions-video-updated.41210/
https://wiki.freenas.org/index.php/...a_Permissions#Access_Control_Lists_.28ACLS.29

R3VCl3

Cadet
Yes sir I did, but am reading through again to make sure.

I am also just reinstalling on a Flash drive VS the 500gb drive i was using, Per another moderators suggestion.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are probably also going to have networking issues with that realtek nic.

R3VCl3

Cadet
OK so I got the flash drive installed with OS. and used trail and error do find bad drive and removed it. Created new volume and so on following a video walk-through from youtube. everything goes fine till i actually go to copy a file to the shared folder from my windows PC. I get you dont have permission to do this. So i went into change the permissions and when i go to set my user to have full control and hit apply i get " An error occurred while applying security information to: ( my shared drive). Please help i have reinstalled and started over 3 times now to see what i did wrong and get the same error every time...

Jay Waxman

Cadet
Hi there, I had a similar problem. I haven't been even able to open a newly created share. Please try to reset root password from FreeNAS menu (Option 7) shown in the console after boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.