9.10 will not allow upgrade to 9.3 to stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

hescominsoon

Patron
I downloaded 9.3 and installed it. When the install was done it came up as 9.10. I then switched trains to 9.3 stable and it downloaded some files and restarted. Now when I look at it the system still says 9.10 and if i try to move to the 9.3 train it tells me it is a downgrade and refuses to move. What am i missing here?

I hash verified the iso i used was the 9.3 iso btw...

D

dlavigne

You'll have to first boot into a 9.3 boot environment. In other words, don't boot into a 9.10 boot environment and try to switch trains back.

hescominsoon

Patron
Changing minor version is considered a downgrade, thus not a supported operation.
If you have an existing boot environment that uses that train, boot into it in order to upgrade that train.

This is what it tells me when i try to move back to the 9.3 train.

hescominsoon

Patron
You'll have to first boot into a 9.3 boot environment. In other words, don't boot into a 9.10 boot environment and try to switch trains back.

I tried that..i installed the 9.3 iso but it comes up as 9.10...

D

dlavigne

You did a fresh install of 9.3? If so, it won't come up as 9.10...

gpsguy

Putting aside the "I installed 9.3, but it comes up as 9.10", I wonder if the OP thinks that 9.10 = 9.1.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hescominsoon

Patron

hescominsoon

Patron
Putting aside the "I installed 9.3, but it comes up as 9.10", I wonder if the OP thinks that 9.10 = 9.1.0

I can read thank you. 9.10 = 9.10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can read thank you. 9.10 = 9.10.
<Moderator hat on>
Please cut the snark. People are trying to help you and it's a common mistake. Please assume good faith.
<Moderator hat off>

Something weird is going on, but the easiest option to do what you want is to rollback to a previous 9.3 environment, if you have one.

If you don't, nuke the install from orbit. You'll need an old 9.3 config (which is included in the old environment, if you have it) or you can configure everything from scratch. 9.10 configs won't work.

hescominsoon

Patron
<Moderator hat on>
Please cut the snark. People are trying to help you and it's a common mistake. Please assume good faith.
<Moderator hat off>

Something weird is going on, but the easiest option to do what you want is to rollback to a previous 9.3 environment, if you have one.

If you don't, nuke the install from orbit. You'll need an old 9.3 config (which is included in the old environment, if you have it) or you can configure everything from scratch. 9.10 configs won't work.
snark was given where it was received....I installed a 9.3 iso on the usb key that was blank. I even removed all filesystems from it. It came up as 9.10..i do not know why. I'll try it again and if it doesn't work I'll take another avenue to see if i can get it to work.

I am new to freenas not new to the technology arena. Do not mistake new to freenas as new to technology.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
snark was given where it received....
gpsguy asked a valid question. We've seen many users confuse the versions.

Since no explanation for why you wanted to move to 9.3 was given, it's easy to assume that there might be some confusion.

If something is unclear, questions will be asked. It is not an insult and should not be taken as such. Everyone misses something obvious once in a while, and 9.10 vs 9.1.0 is not the most obvious of distinctions, particularly as information spreads on the internet and acquires noise.

I installed a 9.3 iso on the usb key that was blank. I even removed all filesystems from it. It came up as 9.10..i do not know why.
Browser caches come to mind, if you only looked at the GUI.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I didn't read the question from gpsguy as snarky at all. The question seemed pretty valid especially given the amount of users that do make simple mistakes. It's not an insult to your intelligence at all. We have to cover all the bases first to make sure that it's not something simple. People here at the FreeNAS forums will be much more willing to help if you have a helpable attitude. I'd encourage you to listen to Eric's advice.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Why install 9.3 at all? It's an old version.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
.I hash verified the iso as well.
What was the hash? And which version of 9.3 was it? 9.3 is old and hard to find.
And your subject line sounds like you are trying to upgrade from 9.10 to 9.3 which is confusing since 9.3 is much older than 9.10. 9.10 is the upgrade to 9.3.

danb35

Hall of Famer
9.10 is the upgrade to 9.3.
Which is probably the reason for @gpsguy's remark that seems to have offended the OP. @hescominsoon, FreeNAS 9.3 is nearly two years old. 9.10 (or, more accurately, 9.10.1) is the current version. You appear to believe that going from the current version to a two-year-old version is an "upgrade". Why is that?

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and just for the sake of completeness, based on the dates on download.freenas.org...

FreeNAS 9.1.0 was released on 2 Aug 13
9.3.0 was released on 9 Dec 14
9.3.1 was released on 25 Aug 15
9.10 was released on 26 Mar 16
9.10.1 was released on 3 Aug 16, and is the current release (actually, 9.10.1-U1 is current, but it's a disaster--wait for 9.10.1-U2)

Why iXSystems has taken two very different versions of its software and tagged them with numerically-identical version numbers, only they know.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why iXSystems has taken two very different versions of its software and tagged them with numerically-identical version numbers, only they know.
Well, it's not unusual versioning (the Linux kernel does it too). It's mostly the big 9.3 -» 9.10 jump that causes confusion:
"9.10? But I don't see 9.4-9.9, they must mean 9.1..."

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Stux

MVP
Anyway, its probably safe to say that downgrading from 9.10 to 9.3 is not a supported install.

Do a fresh 9.3 install. That should work. If it works. 9.3 won't work too easily on Skylake boards.

PS: When I first went to install FreeNAS, I very nearly tried to install 9.3 instead of the 'older' 9.10 version that everything kept on trying to push me towards. Turns out 9.10 is 10 because its based on FreeBSD 10.

Yes, I know we all know that ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Because it's stable.
If by "stable" you mean "with no updates, including bug fixes or security patches, in the last six months."

Status
Not open for further replies.