9:10 - grub error: no such device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Peak

Cadet
I ran the auto update from FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003 to 9.10-STABLE-201606270534 and now get a grub error.

error: no such device: a3e173a8f9eb69c6.
Entering rescue mode..

This is a single ssd and zpool import reports no errors.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The latest update added UEFI support for existing legacy installations. GRUB must've gotten borked or something.

After I ran it on my system, the first boot failed with a "no memory detected" error - but, then again, my systems are cursed.

JMC

Dabbler
I am getting the same error.
Updated from GUI,
system rebooted,
now I get a boot error no_such device,
and sent to grub rescue>

How does one "reapply the upgrade" ?

JMC

Dabbler
Just reporting back on this.

I downloaded the FreeNAS 9.10.1 ISO from the website, and mounted it from IPMI.
Booted from the device, and went into shell, and did a

> ZPool import
(...import, because I thought I was done for...)

It commented that everything was in use by another system,
so I did a

> ZPool import | less

and noted the gptid's of my freenas-boot pool (mirrored usb's in my case)

Then I got the device ids by doing a

> glabel list | grep -B 2 -A 10 <gptid-1>
> glabel list | grep -B 2 -A 10 <gptid-2>

This listed the device id's as da12 and da13.

I then exit'ed the shell,
choose install/upgrade,
selected da12+da13,
and the installer asked if I wanted to upgrade or re-install.

I choose upgrade, waited, rebooted,
the freenas boot menu presented it self.

During boot, I now get a blank (black) screen,
but I noted that my DHCP (BOOTP) said the freenas IP was online.

So I entered the ip into a browser, and got "FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)" uptime 2 min.
Jails and plugins are running, and apart from the blank shell in IPMI, everything seams good.

EDIT:
As a side note, it would be awesome, if the installer could indicate which devices contain a freenas install already.
But seeing as I hope not to be doing this again for some time, it is a minor issue. ( GUI upgrade not borking grub would be better :) )

Last edited:

SFoskett

Dabbler
I had both of these issues:
  1. The GRUB corruption has been documented and reported in a (now invisible) bug report. Reinstalling FreeNAS with an "upgrade" solved the issue, both with 9.10.1 and 9.10 STABLE. But it makes me very nervous! Any update that results in a "will not boot" system is a Very Bad Thing.
  2. I still have the "blank/black screen" issue with 9.10.1. I posted about it here but had not reported a bug since no one else chimed in with the same issue. Now that I see your report, I'll report a bug. I "solved" it by rolling back to 9.10, but updating again to 9.10.1 results in a blank/black screen again. Really annoying.

JMC

Dabbler
I had both of these issues:
  1. The GRUB corruption has been documented and reported in a (now invisible) bug report. Reinstalling FreeNAS with an "upgrade" solved the issue, both with 9.10.1 and 9.10 STABLE. But it makes me very nervous! Any update that results in a "will not boot" system is a Very Bad Thing.
  2. I still have the "blank/black screen" issue with 9.10.1. I posted about it here but had not reported a bug since no one else chimed in with the same issue. Now that I see your report, I'll report a bug. I "solved" it by rolling back to 9.10, but updating again to 9.10.1 results in a blank/black screen again. Really annoying.
On point 1.
Absolutely agreed; I had actually held of updating to .1, because my work log is backed up, and I could >not< have this system be down during weekdays; But Saturday came, and I chanced it. I'm thankful this was all I had to deal with. (although everything does feel sluggish, and my ARC hit is abysmal, but I'll research that later).

On point 2.
Let me know if you need anything, I'll happily report back asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.