9.10.1-U2 won't boot after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeby1

Cadet
Hi there,

This is my first time attempting to deploy FreeNAS, so please forgive any obvious stupidity.

Anyway, I'm trying to run FreeNAS on a crappy acer prebuilt (i3 3220, 8gb DDR3, 1Tb WD spinning disk, generic 16Gb Boot USB flash drive, highly inadvisable hardware I'm sure) to run a few test as a precursor to a possible 45 Drives 'storinator' deployment at my work. I tried to install 9.10.1-U2 onto the WD drive in the machine from the USB that is now the boot drive, which spat an error (unfortunately I don't remember this error as I didn't think much of it at the time). When this failed, I attempted to install 9.10.1-U2 onto the USB from a 16Gb SD card, this spat the same error.

The next day, I decided to try installing to the USB from the SD card via my MacBook, which worked flawlessly. So I fire up the USB on the test Acer machine, and some time after the machine being assigned an IP address, I get the error 'getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs'. This error grinds the boot to a halt and will re print every 30 seconds (who'd have thought it hey ;))

Anyway, after some suggestions on similar issues that it could be a filing USB stick, I installed 9.10.1-U2 on another 32GB USB Flash drive I had lying around, exact same issue.

Interestingly, I get this error wether I give the machine an ethernet connection or not...

Any advice would be massively appreciated!!

Cheers, Jake

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
:(
Since you're just experimenting, you could try installing an older build, e.g. 9.3.1.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please do not use old versions of FreeNAS for testing or evaluation. How about showing the exact error message? Maybe turn off unnecessary peripherals in the BIOS?

jakeby1

Cadet
Please do not use old versions of FreeNAS for testing or evaluation. How about showing the exact error message? Maybe turn off unnecessary peripherals in the BIOS?

The above message is the entire error, I can get you a photo of the rest of the print out that is on screen though if you like?

As far as onboard controllers go, the only unnecessary one is the audio controller, but I'm happy to try with that off anyway :)

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The getty error? Sorry, that sounded like it was different from the original error. Please identify the specific Acer model.

jakeby1

Cadet
Sorry, the getty error is the current error causing me issues yes. I believe its an Acer Aspire x3995

wblock

Documentation Engineer
That might be a symptom, not the original error. Can you get a screenshot of the output before that error?

Also, let's check the basics. Did you verify the checksum of the download to be sure it wasn't corrupted?

Since this is for testing only, I'll suggest something that is not generally recommended here: set up a VirtualBox VM for running this. If it is an issue with that particular hardware, this will avoid it.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
And another question: did the error happen before you had entered anything at the console?

jakeby1

Cadet
I can't get a screenshot, but I have a photo

No I didn't verify the checksum, I wasn't even aware that was a possibility :P

I'll have a look into running it in virtualbox

Yep, before I had entered anything in the console

jcrone

Cadet
Hi Jake, I am trying to install FreeNAS and am getting this same error, did you ever find out how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.