SOLVED Is an Action Required? Keep or Not to Keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhumm2

Explorer
I just updated my FNAS system to 9.10.1 U2 and I opened the following boot screen:

fnas-boot-1.jpg

Why does the "Keep" column have "No" in every row? Although I'm not hurting for space on my boot drive (USB Flash drive), I'm guessing I need to keep the current boot (9.10.1 even though it doesn't state that) and the 9.3 Stable in case I need to revert back for some reason. Is it okay to "No" on all the Wizards from last year? Please confirm that I click on each of the last 2 rows and select "Keep" for each, then click on the "Scrub Boot" button at the top. Is that correct? FNAS Noob!

mhumm2

mhumm2

Explorer
Strange. I clicked on the 9.3 boot version and clicked on "Keep". FNAS asked if I wanted to set the keep flag for that row. I answered okay, but nothing happened. The screen refreshed and the No didn't change. I also performed this process on the 9.10 currently booted row; same results.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why does the "Keep" column have "No" in every row? Although I'm not hurting for space on my boot drive (USB Flash drive), I'm guessing I need to keep the current boot (9.10.1 even though it doesn't state that) and the 9.3 Stable in case I need to revert back for some reason. Is it okay to "No" on all the Wizards from last year? Please confirm that I click on each of the last 2 rows and select "Keep" for each, then click on the "Scrub Boot" button at the top. Is that correct? FNAS Noob!

mhumm2
It doesn't actually do anything yet. The automatic boot environment pruner hasn't been turned on, yet.

Last edited:

mhumm2

Explorer
Okay...would you please tell me how to turn it on?

Stux

MVP
I think you don't.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

mhumm2

Explorer
Okay. So it's not something I turn on. Very strange... if the root doesn't turn it on, then why display cryptic indicators? Seeing a whole column of "NOs" under 'keep' and in the rows with my boot images is disconcerting.

If there's nothing for me to do then why do I have the options when I click on a boot image?

fnas-boot-2.jpg

Why code an application to prompt the user/root to take action when no action is possible? I suppose I'm not convinced or is FreeNAS really this rough (un-evolved) as an OS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If there's nothing for me to do then why do I have the options when I click on a boot image?
For the future, basically.
Why code an application to prompt the user/root to take action when no action is possible?
It's meant to be, but the function that actually makes use of those flags hasn't been activated yet, mostly due to fear of breaking things.

mhumm2

Explorer
That really a good answer. There's certainly nothing wrong with future upgrades. Obviously, I need to delete my 9.3 guide and get my nose into the 9.10 guide. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.