8.3 Not showing HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerabbit

Cadet
After installing FreeNas 8.3 the system boots up just fine and I can log into the GUI. I am unable to find the HDD in the Volume Manager. I have tried multiple HDs and tried using them unformatted as well as NTFS. I have cleaned the partitions off of them and set new clean partitions. I need to get this thing back up and running. Please Help.

Thank You

JaimieV

Guru
Where are you looking? What are you expecting?
When you say "back up and running", does that mean you have disks/sets that you need to import?

Disks will be in Storage/Volumes/View Disks. If they're not, post back. If they are, then you need to read the manual to proceed safely.
Putting them into an array is done in Storage/Volumes/Volume Manager (heed the warning in red).
Old arrays/disks that you want to reconnect can be found by Storage/Volumes/Import Volume.

killerabbit

Cadet
Thanks for the clarification. They do not show up in "view disks" section. The machine was running perfectly then our ups died and on restart FN freaked out and wouldn't load up. I am not sure what version I had so I loaded the newest I could find. As I said the program seems to be working great, just can't find any disks. I cleared out the HDDs using windows cmd, so I am starting from scratch.

Thanks

gpsguy

I *believe* JaimieV was trying to help you recover the data from your drives.

It sounds like you used something like FDISK, etc. from Windows to clear the partitions or tried to reuse a NTFS disk. "Cleaning out the HDD's using Windows" isn't going to cut it. You need to use something like the dd command to wipe both the beginning and the end of the HDD. Or grab a copy of Darik's Boot & Nuke (www.dban.org) and use it to erase the disk.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you tried to use the Auto Import function under the Storage button?
If yes and there is no pool listed (probably because you tried to erase the drives), and if you are unable to use Volume Manager to format these drives again then you will need to format both the first sector and last sector of each hard drive, you do not need to format the entire drive and using dd to do the entire drive will take a long time.

From ProtoSD:
Here's the magic incantation for wiping the beginnning & end of your disk(s), replace ada3 with your disk/device:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada3 bs=1m count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada3 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada3 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you fixed your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.