8.2.0 Beta 3: FreeNAS doesn't boot at all - screenshot attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyager529

Dabbler
Hey everyone!

I am a schmuck. Despite every warning ever saying "don't install beta software in a production environment", I installed beta software in a production environment. Dunce cap received.

That said...

I did a GUI upgrade on the x64 edition of FreeNAS. It was from...either 8.2.0 beta 2 or 8.0.4 release...I can't remember which, but I do remember attempting (and failing) to install the three sample plug-ins, and failing. So, I kinda left 'em half-installed, they weren't bothering anything, and that was that. The FreeNAS has been running flawlessly otherwise; I'm disinclined to believe it's a hardware issue, but not beyond considering it.

What strikes me particularly odd is that it fails within five seconds of the bootloader screen showing up no matter which flavor of "boot FreeNAS" option I pick. Neither 'normal' nor 'AHCI disabled' nor 'Safe Mode' nor 'Single User Mode' have reacted any differently from any other. In every case, the result is the same.
Code:
root@build.ixsystems.com:/build/home/jpaetzel/freenas/e2e-bld.0fE4KSqZ/os-base/amd64/build/home/jpaetzel/freenas/e2e-bld.0fE4KSqZ/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS/amd64 amd64 

Every mode ends up at the same place, in almost exactly the same amount of time.

I am tempted to pull out my USB drive, mount it using a FreeBSD disc, extract my config file (no, I didn't back it up, yes, I'm still an idiot), and do a clean install from a disc. Thus, my questions are as follows:

1.) has anyone else had this issue, and how did you solve it? (the forum for relevant keywords came up empty)
2.) besides the course of action above, is there a known method of restoring functionality of FreeNAS when in this state?

Thanks for your consideration.

Joey

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 283

voyager529

Dabbler
I went to do a CD-based upgrade today. When I pointed it to the USB drive, it warned me that it was going to erase everything.

I am uncertain if it is a standard-fare warning or if it will actually wipe my config. I attempted to boot with a PC-BSD 9.0 live disc in order to pull the config file, but as it turned out, booting from a DVD+RW took a LOT longer than I assumed it would. So, before I make another attempt to boot from a live disc and pull my config, can anyone tell me if the data erasure warning applies to an upgrade, or if FreeNAS doesn't read the flash drive as having a config stored on it?

Thanks!

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.