8.0.4 coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcooper

Hi again all!

I am going to roll another release (8.0.4) prior to 8.2.0 to address the following issues noted by FreeNAS users and TrueNAS customers. The current release notes for 8.0.4 can be found here: http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/branches/8.0.4/ReleaseNotes?view=markup

Some of the performance caps will be derived from the values in the FreeNAS 0.7 (legacy) branch, with minor tuning done to get the best bang for the user's "buck" with older hardware and FreeNAS 8.x. I'll be sure to run my tests on lower spec'ed hardware laying around iX (there are some unused Dell 1Us I found that will work for testing). There will be a writeup available before 8.0.4-RELEASE with general guidelines on performance / ZFS tuning.

Unless any critical items are identified in the course of testing things out, this will be it for the release. Tentatively shooting for 02/22 as all of the above items are backported enhancements/fixes from trunk, minus the daapd upgrade.

I'll be on the IRC channel when working on the release cycle and be reachable on the forums via PM. Please test out this release prior to the final drop if you have an opportunity because I prefer to not repeat 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1.

// edit: Updated the tentative release date from 02/17 to 02/24.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Looks like we might be shooting for the 32-bit version more here in this testing. I'll do what I can and test both 32 and 64 bit. I PM'd you my work schedule so once the Superbowl starts, I'm off the grid. My first build will be 64-bit and if it works I'll then move on to a 32-bit build.

If you have specific 32-bit version tests I will do what I can.

-Mark

G

gcooper

Looks like we might be shooting for the 32-bit version more here in this testing. I'll do what I can and test both 32 and 64 bit. I PM'd you my work schedule so once the Superbowl starts, I'm off the grid. My first build will be 64-bit and if it works I'll then move on to a 32-bit build.

If you have specific 32-bit version tests I will do what I can.

I'll have first cut builds up by Monday with almost everything listed above (the only thing that can take longer is the shadow copy stuff). I'm not really a pigskin fan -- I like soccer instead :).

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for the heads up Garrett. Did you see the ticket I posted #1234? This might be a quick fix to throw in there too.

EDIT: I won't be delayed by the Superbowl, not much of fan here either.

joeschmuck

Old Man
G

gcooper

Thanks for the heads up Garrett. Did you see the ticket I posted #1234? This might be a quick fix to throw in there too.

EDIT: I won't be delayed by the Superbowl, not much of fan here either.

I'll see what I can do about this. No promises because there's other stuff I'm doing, but I understand your plight here :).

ProtoSD

MVP
I'll see what I can do about this. No promises because there's other stuff I'm doing, but I understand your plight here :).

No problem, whatever you can do will be great. I just echoed your announcement in my blog so maybe more people will take notice and do some testing.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is the SMART testing fixed? Currently under 8.0.3 I can not get it to work [and it could be my own ignorance] but back in November William said it was fixed. That doesn't mean it was fixed for 8.0.3 or anything, could mean just the trunk. I never even tried to test it until now since I had a minor failure in my recent past.

G

gcooper

Is the SMART testing fixed? Currently under 8.0.3 I can not get it to work [and it could be my own ignorance] but back in November William said it was fixed. That doesn't mean it was fixed for 8.0.3 or anything, could mean just the trunk. I never even tried to test it until now since I had a minor failure in my recent past.

Do you have more details about this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you have more details about this?
All I know is when you Add a SMART Test, the test never actually occurs as scheduled or otherwise. I resorted to creating a CRON job to conduct the SMART Test.

Here are some links, this is the most recent I've seen with someone having this problem... http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?5838-SMART-reporting-not-functioning

Here is the link where William says it's fixed... http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?4521-SMART-test-not-running

I'm hoping the email report occurs tonight but I have little faith right now. I don't want to make 8.0.4 more than what you wanted which was a bug fix but thought I'd just say I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly but honestly I don't think there is much to it.

My settings are:
SMART is enabled for all my hard drives.
E-Mail is set up as I receive the two morning reports each day.
Created SMART Test, Short test for a single drive (ada0) with testing as defaults "Every N hour" = 1, "Every N day" = 1, all days, months checked.
Created SMART Test, Short test for single drive (ada2) with testing as defaults but changed "Each Selected Hour" = 01, 02, 03, etc..., "Each Selected Day" = 01, 03, 05, etc...
Created an hourly CRON for drive (ada1) with smartctl -t short /dev/ada1
Rebooted the machine in case it made a difference.
Checked periodically to see if the drives were being tested via smartctl -a /dev/ada0 or ada1 or ada2
ada0 and ada2 never showed any new short tests however ada1 showed a new short test each hour.

Hope this helps. I'll update this entry with if the automatic report containing SMART test results occurs in the morning.

EDIT: No SMART Report in the morning emails.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you have the same problem as http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?4521-SMART-test-not-running ?

If so, you can use the workaround, by select all the days you want it to run instead of let it run "every day"
I could backport the fix tho 8.0.x branch, however, personally I would like to avoid wasting those resources and focus on the next major release right now (aka 8.2)
We can put it on the ERRATA
I'd like to start with, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because it's a feature in 8.0.3 that may not work, or at least I and several other folks can't make it work, even with the work around (see my setup above for drive ada2). Myself, if I really wanted the feature I would just build the current trunk and I'm sure it would work.

Since this feature may not work, the ERRATA sounds fine to me as I think we all would rather see 8.2 hit the streets fully functional.

I'll discuss this problem in the other thread just in case I have some settings incorrect but I think it's all working fine.

-Mark

G

gcooper

What I have right now looks like a good first cut, so I'm going to prep 8.0.4-BETA1. Shadow copies don't work 100% from what I can see (they show up, but don't allow one to copy/restore files), but we'll figure out what's missing by BETA2 and fix it.

ProtoSD

MVP
I just had a look on sourceforge and didn't see an 8.0.4 folder yet. Are you waiting for your builds to finish?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I just had a look on sourceforge and didn't see an 8.0.4 folder yet. Are you waiting for your builds to finish?
It's in the SVN directories. That got me to at first.

G

gcooper

They'll be posted sometime before noon PST. I want to run a spotcheck before releasing the images out into the wild.

The FreeNAS community shouldn't have to do my testing for me. That's why I'm here :).

lrusak

Explorer
looks like 8.0.4 has been posted to sourceforge, I will upgrade when I get home from university and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

G

gcooper

looks like 8.0.4 has been posted to sourceforge, I will upgrade when I get home from university and let you know how it goes.

Aha! You beat me to the punch -- yup -- it's up on sourceforge. I'll be happy to shoot along a multimedia build or two when I get a chance; the only difference between 8.0.3-MULTIMEDIA and 8.0.4 will be an updated version of firefly that works with iTunes 10.5.2 -- cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.