ETA of 8.2 Release? And decision making needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazeline

Dabbler
Anyone has any idea what the ETA of official 8.2 Release is? I'm dying to get uPnP/DLNA multimedia support on my FreeNAS box.

I now have set up my system based on 8.0.4 release. However, I'm debating with myself, should I upgrade with 8.0.4 multimedia version and try out or should I just be patient and wait for the official 8.2 released, which will have all multimedia plugins supported in GUI natively?

Please, advise is highly appreciated here.
Thanks bunch!

ProtoSD

MVP
My *guess* is 3 maybe 4 weeks tops? Possibly a little sooner. The multimedia features that are in 8.04 will be ready, and a few of us are working hard to get the other popular ones ready, like sabnzbd / sickbeard / couchpotato, and Serviio. Barring any surprises, those should be ready by the release also.

hazeline

Dabbler
Fantastic! I guess I could probably wait for another 3 or 4 weeks.

protosd, when you said "The multimedia features that are in 8.04 will be ready,", does that mean the 8.0.4-Multimedia release does not have DLNA rolled in yet? Or DLNA is in but a few others are still WIP?

BTW, will miniDLNA, I believe that's the one gets rolled into current 8.0.4 multimedia release, support mkv video format? I've been searching around and couldn't seem to get definitive answer. It'll be great that you can point me at some link or provide a full list of supported multimedia formats.

Thanks!

hazeline

Dabbler
okay, I self-tought a bit and learned that uPnP/DLNA is a network transmission protocol and has nothing to do with the multimedia format. As long as the end-user client player can support that format, it'll be okay.

Kev

Cadet
okay, I self-tought a bit and learned that uPnP/DLNA is a network transmission protocol and has nothing to do with the multimedia format. As long as the end-user client player can support that format, it'll be okay.

The guys above are working on a Serviio PBI which ProtoSD has previously included as a built in addition to earlier 8* releases on his blog. Serviio is an excellent all round DLNA server and is the only one which I know to currently work with Samsung smart TVs.

hazeline

Dabbler
I read some forum that Serviio has been plugged into FreeNAS, manually, of course. So I'd expect the upcoming 8.2 official release supports Serviio natively, correct? That'll be cool!

BTW, I heard a lot buzz about Serviio being superior on DLNA performance. Can you give me some points how exactly it performs compared to miniDLNA supported by 8.0.4-multimedia release?

thanks!

jjstecchino

Contributor
The guys above are working on a Serviio PBI which ProtoSD has previously included as a built in addition to earlier 8* releases on his blog. Serviio is an excellent all round DLNA server and is the only one which I know to currently work with Samsung smart TVs.

Mediatomb works well with samsung tv with a little tweak of the config file. Supprts thumbnailing, ff, fb etc

ProtoSD

MVP
I read some forum that Serviio has been plugged into FreeNAS, manually, of course. So I'd expect the upcoming 8.2 official release supports Serviio natively, correct? That'll be cool!

Hazeline, the FreeNAS release with Serviio integrated was a special build I posted for the community. The FreeNAS developers, up to this point didn't want to do that because the dependencies for Serviio, like Java, x11, are huge space hogs and would bloat FreeNAS. With Plugins this isn't so much of an issue anymore, but I think we would all prefer that they spend their time working on FreeNAS and leave the small stuff like Plugins to the community (after they get functionality working completely of course).

Josh Paetzel just announced in one of the other 8.2 threads, that after it's release, now near the end of April, they will upgrade the FreeBSD base to 8.3 which will include ZFS v28 support as well as a bunch of new drivers. Start saving up to buy more RAM, you'll need it!

hazeline

Dabbler
Thanks for the detailed updates, ProtoSD. I'm looking forward to the new release.

BTW, I tried minidlna plugin on 8.0.4 multimedia and it works pretty well. Happy with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.