44424 Offline uncorrectable sectors, on SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyrule

Cadet
So,

I've got FreeNAS 8.04 running on the following :

AMD A8 3870K BE
Asus F1A75-Pro w/6 SATA 3 connection (using the A75 built-in controller)
1 x Bytecc 2xSata 3 controller (with 1 IDE port)
8GB DDR3 1600
ZFS RaidZ2
6 x 1TB 7200rpm Sata3 HDD
1 x 30GB AData SSD as cache

This is a brand new FreeNAS setup, although the drives are all previously used (albeit less than 1 year old, and a mix of 2 brands and different batches).

I've run checks on the SSD in a seperate system (two systems actually), and SMART reports no errors, however when I create the RaidZ2 group, it ALWAYS reads the SSD with the following error :

Device: /dev/ada6, 44424 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Is there something here I should be worried about, or is there something I can do to validate the SSD as a cache drive? (make sure it's not going to cause corruption on a new ZFS volume).

Thanks in advance,

Spyrule

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi spyrule,

Run the manufacturer's utility on the drive & see what it reports.

Keep in mind that if you are using the SSD for ZIL removing it\running a secure erase might prove fatal to your pool. Wait for the experts to weigh in before you do anything.

-Will

spyrule

Cadet
yeah, AData doesn't seem to have any kind of drive testing software. Firmware only, and I've been patched to the last firmware for awhile now.

I'm not worried about my storage, as this is a completely new NAS, and there is no data on the drives as of yet (I'm still working out the kinks, and performance testing the system).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Might want to check out the reported data directly:

# smartctl -a /dev/ada6

and see what more it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.