3rd Server, New Build X11-SSL-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Contributor
I build my first FreeNAS for around $200 and got 10TB-Z2 out of it for quite a few years, so though it was time to build a bigger one. Got to build a monster for a SIEM POC for my company which was cool, but this is for home use. Build in link below, people laughed at me using Green drives, but whatever. I still ran for 4-5 years for $200 so cheers to you guys who can afford 3k systems. I can't and I'm still debating on this due to cost.

Goals:
1) 24TB or better
2) Cheap but not crappy.

Board: X11-SSL-F
CPU: E3-1220v6
Ram: (2)-Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR24E17D8/16
Drives: 6x6tb STEL6000100 Seagate drives. For the price you can't talk me out of it. Plus I'll be running them much cooler than what that enclosure does which is death for HDDs.
Case: Antec 900 (Owned)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W (Owned)

Total: $1413.

tvsjr

Guru
Personally, I'd max the memory. ZFS eats RAM like candy... may as well feed it.

You also haven't accounted for a boot drive. I'd bump up to an X11SSM-F, which gives you 8 SATA ports, and add a small SSD for a boot device. Or, if you want to get fancy, go to the X11SSH-F which has an M.2 slot on the board and put your boot device there. That would leave two ports free for future expansion (maybe a pair of SSDs in a mirror for fast storage down the road?)

Nomad

Contributor
Personally, I'd max the memory. ZFS eats RAM like candy... may as well feed it.

You also haven't accounted for a boot drive. I'd bump up to an X11SSM-F, which gives you 8 SATA ports, and add a small SSD for a boot device. Or, if you want to get fancy, go to the X11SSH-F which has an M.2 slot on the board and put your boot device there. That would leave two ports free for future expansion (maybe a pair of SSDs in a mirror for fast storage down the road?)

I just planned on using a few 32gb USB boot drives. Primary and Backup for updates in case something goes wrong. I know the difference is only $50 but I really am trying to get this as cheap as I can without sacrificing quality. Thank you for the suggestion however.

I am seriously considering running the 24TB pool on 16GB of ram and saving myself $900 The only thing I use this server for is backing up game play video's, home movies, and BR disc's which are all played on a Plex Server to 1/2 devices.

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
You're better off using a single SSD. I literally bought a handful of Intel 320-series 40GB drives (boot drives for my VSphere nodes and my FreeNAS) off eBay for $20/ea. All had plenty of life left... the two in my FN (they're mirrored - overkill, I know, but with a 36-drive box, why not) are showing they have 86% of their lives remaining. I expect the drives to last far longer than I'll need to run them.

ChriZ

Patron
Do not consider getting a motherboard with 8 sata ports as $50 more spent, but as time and data investment.
Investment 1 --> Your boot drive will be more reliable; no headaches when usb dies, no time spent to reinstall and restore config, faster updates.
Investment 2 --> More importantly, in case you need to change a failing drive, if you have spare sata ports, you can add the new one without removing the old first

just because of number 2 i would personally get the motherboard with 8 sata. But it is your time, your data, your money, so your decision

Nomad

Contributor
Do not consider getting a motherboard with 8 sata ports as $50 more spent, but as time and data investment.
Investment 1 --> Your boot drive will be more reliable; no headaches when usb dies, no time spent to reinstall and restore config, faster updates.
Investment 2 --> More importantly, in case you need to change a failing drive, if you have spare sata ports, you can add the new one without removing the old first

just because of number 2 i would personally get the motherboard with 8 sata. But it is your time, your data, your money, so your decision

In that case wouldn't a HBA card be better? some of the IBM rebands can extend up to 256 drives. That's quite a bit of storage, if and when an upgrade is needed down the road. This board could handle 64GB of ram, so future expansion to 64TBZ2

ChriZ

Patron
The HBA will be better if/when you need to add additional vdevs to the pool.
Plus it's more expensive than the 50 for the better board.
Anyway, just saying that two extra sata will offer peace of mind with the OS and drive replacement, but it's up to you.

Nomad

Contributor
I can pick up a IBM M1015 for $65, so all around I think this would be a better option for upgrading. Looks like I got my old NAS sold so Amazon here I come :)

Status
Not open for further replies.