35,000 files are scanned everytime by my jail (Plex) but I am unable to find these files

jusco

Cadet
As the title states- some context:

I built a computer to start a NAS just a few months ago and its main existence in life is to serve as my media delivery system. It works beautifully, and as expected. I have some issues.

1. I am unable to locate these 35,000+ files that Plex is scanning everytime I add new media to my server. I do know how these files originated. I attempted to add a movie to my server through my MacBook as the media was from iTunes. I quickly learned that was not going to work. Overnight my MacBook continually attempted to upload the file and did not stop until morning.

2. The files are not taking up space but they are impeding my ability to scan media on Plex in an effective manner. I realize this issue may stem from Plex (or my MacBook more likely) but I figured this would be the best place to start.

3. I have noticed that I am not able to delete some files. I have added my account to the wheel group and still no luck. (I'm not sure I entirely understand the group functionality) As a nice cherry on top, I noticed that when my Plex jail is stopped, I am unable to access my files through windows file explorer. I suspect the issue is with the mount point that I have chosen for my jail. My hope is that there is a simple solution to these issues, but I suspect my own stupidity is holding me back from moving forward with these issues.

I have searched this forum, reddit and quora with no luck finding solutions to my situation (although I doubt I am the first novice to make this mistake).

Thank you in advance for any help that rolls my way, it will be greatly appreciated by myself and my wife (she's getting sick of me spending hours a day trying to fix what is most likely a stupid mistake with an easy fix.

Did you add the plex user/group to truenas with user ID 972 and Group ID 972? This is first step to getting things playing together well. Then you will allow both the plex user/group full access to these media datasets/files. Then you will add your user who you use to connect to the NAS to the plex group.

You should go into the plex jail using the command prompt and have a look at the files in question, more specifically the permissions of the files, and the suspected locations of these "ghost files". From here you can remove them as well if thats what you are wanting to do. Show a sample of what you find and I can likely tell you how to proceed. Theres just not really enough to go on here, to tell you any further.

jusco

Cadet
Looking at it now I did not assign the user ID with 972, or the group ID. I will attempt to do this.

Looking at the command prompt I am illiterate with navigating that area. Any good spots to reference on how to successfully navigate in there?

Will attach photos in reply of where I've ended up.

Thank you! @John Digital

jusco

Cadet
I was able to correct my issue with deleting the ghost files- you were absolutely correct that the users were not authorized to access the files. Such a huge help! Thank you.