Status
Not open for further replies.

TinTIn

Contributor
Just noticed when running:

smartctl -a /dev/da0

That SMART support is: Disabled

Looks like it is on all my disks by default, does that sound right?

I can run:

smartctl -t short /dev/da0

So should I enable SMART on all the disks?

I'm planning on running SMART tasks every couple of weeks but what's the benefit of SMART being enabled? Does it auto notify me of an issue when enabled and not is not?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd think you have SMART disabled in your BIOS so yes, you should enable it in the BIOS. Also make sure it's enabled in the FreeNAS GUI.

As for the frequency of running SMART tests, I run the short test every night and the long test once a week for each drive. Others have different opinions but it will be up to you to be honest. I picked my routine based on the fact that if you have a SMART reported error, you already have an issue and it will not get better with time so you would want to replace the drive as soon as possible, so once every 24 hours for the short test.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Definitely enable SMART. smartd will query the drives every 30 minutes (default setting) and email you if something's wrong.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
There was a bug (I might have filed it) about this. If FN isnt' auto-enabling SMART, then you will have to manually enable SMART the initial time.

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks all, really good feedback. This community is brilliant.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Tintin,

No offense, but I'm really not getting a good feeling with this server you are building. I had said before that you might think you are saving money building this yourself, but with all the questions you are asking, that saved money will not be what people remember when your zpool fails you suddenly. As I said before, you might think you are saving money and this is a win, but iXsystems does support contracts *just for situations like yours* so you aren't the guy that misses some important checkbox and end up finding out the hard way that you missed some crucial setting.

I'm just not getting a good feeling with where this is going...

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks for your input cyberjock. I'm afraid this wasn't a decision made by me but I am the poor mug that has to do his best to make it work. In an ideal world my introduction to ZFS wouldn't have been "please build us a 360TB ZFS storage solution on a shoe string' and by the way you have about 6 months tops". Ideally I would have considered all options and produced a report with all my findings and costings but that's not the world I am living in. I've tested various distributions over the last 3-6 months and have found based on cost, features and stability this given the time and costs is the best bet. It's not ideal and definitely not the way I would have gone about it but I've gotta try and make it work the best I can. I appreciate the feedback I get on the forum and hope over the next few years I can perhaps offer some thoughts and advice based on my findings. All the best.

Last edited:

TinTIn

Contributor
BTW the solution will be using ZFS Replication every night to backup the pool to another identical solution based in another geographical location so if the sh*t does hit the fan then all is not lost. We also have a 5yr warranty on the hardware so I'm trying to create some damage limitation however I appreciate the concern.

Last edited:

TinTIn

Contributor
An ancient Chinese proverb says, “He who asks question remains a fool for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains a fool forever.”

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, we've had people here that did full replication to another machine for a backup, but because of oversight on their part the original and replicated backup both ended up trashed at the same time. :/

TinTIn

Contributor
Fingers crossed then [emoji3]

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well, we've had people here that did full replication to another machine for a backup, but because of oversight on their part the original and replicated backup both ended up trashed at the same time. :/
You've piqued my curiosity. What oversight? No ECC? Improper libation technique to the gods of murphy?

By the way, I agree with your sentiments about support contracts. They're definitely worth it. They help young IT professionals become old IT professionals (as opposed to walmart cart-pushers) :)

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, for a business it is much smarter to invest in a system with a proper support contract. Not saying it cannot be done they way you are doing it however there is a degree of risk being taken and let's say you get everything up and running and you are the only person who knows the system and you leave, your company did a serious dis-service to themselves.

TinTIn

Contributor
All good points but like I say I didn't get any choice in the matter. However while we are on this topic am I alone in building a FreeNAS storage solution within an Enterprise environment? Would be interested to hear your stories if anyone is doing a similar thing.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
At one site I use a freenas server I built from a supermicro barebone kit as a zfs replication target for a truenas appliance.

I've deployed servers built from barebones kits in the past, but I prefer sticking to a single vendor for hardware (even it's slightly more expensive) because it gives me a single point of contact when stuff breaks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
All good points but like I say I didn't get any choice in the matter. However while we are on this topic am I alone in building a FreeNAS storage solution within an Enterprise environment? Would be interested to hear your stories if anyone is doing a similar thing.

No, but those stories were told long ago, and aren't really fun to talk about for the 10th time. You can probably find them in the forums if you go digging deep enough. I've pretty much stopped telling them because I've learned it gives people the impression it's a great idea and totally safe. It's not. In what may a coincidence I've stopped telling the stories I've seen a decline in the number of people that call iXsystems with "zomg my zpool panics the system on boot.. I want to pay for support".

Just gotta kill a large zpool (enterprises never go with small zpools) that happens to have no backup in weeks because something broke and nobody noticed, and the company goes out of business, people end up unemployed, and they never make that mistake again. ;) Kind of hard to make the mistake when you've literally worked yourself out of a job. :p

I've talked to at least 3 companies this year that had that kind of story, and only 1 was lucky enough to see their data again. I know two of them *did* go out of business because when I tried calling them a month later to see how they were doing their phone number was disconnected.

One company I talked to last year had an IT department that was run by a moron. He'd do things like hand the IT worker bee a bunch of inappropriate hardware and tell him he'd better get a zpool on it and working. It had a hardware RAID controller and wouldn't do passthrough. He also was given $0 to make the server work because the IT department head "knew what he was talking about". When I started asking questions the IT worker bee said to talk to his department head, which was on the phone. After listing everything that was wrong, I told him that if I had worked there I would have made him sign a notarized affidavit that if anything went wrong that he would hold me irresponsible for the consequences, up to and including data loss. He got very quiet for like 20 seconds when I said that. I had to ask if he was still on the line and he responded with a very depressing "yeah, I'm still here". The CEO of the company later called me and I told him everything. First, the IT dept head was fired for his heavy-handedness with setting up the FreeNAS box. Then the worker bee was fired because he didn't take his job responsibility enough and go over his boss' head when things were totally off-kilter. They got their data back, but apparently it cost them more than $60k.

The worker bee was a forum user here (not a regular poster, had maybe 40 posts because he asked a bunch of questions and made the same kind of arguments about "gotta do it cause the boss said so"). He talked to me about 2 months after he lost his job, and he said job prospects were in the toilet as a result.

Even when I did contract work for people to build servers and/or maintain them, I had a few strict rules:

1. I got paid up-front until I felt comfortable I wasn't going to be scammed.
2. If I said that something had to be fixed and you disagreed, we were done working together.
3. If I recommended a particular piece of hardware and they substituted without consulting me, we were done working together.

It was not worth my reputation to have some idiot buy AMD, buy a hardware RAID controller, or buy some shotty motherboard that later would eat their data and have them come trying to tell me that it was my fault and try to sue me. It was my job on the line, literally. And I wasn't about to let someone that was only interested in saving a few dollars put my job on the line while they did it. No thanks! Fsck that!

Status
Not open for further replies.