BUILD 300% More worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It may be corrupted if it gets corrupted in RAM from your laptop. I think the answer you are looking for is "Yes".

We did have one user that copied pictures from his memory card to his zpool regularly and he noticed that a small number of pictures would be corrupted. It just so happened that his desktop had bad RAM and he didn't know it. Since the pictures came from his memory card into RAM, then across the LAN to his zpool, they were getting randomly corrupted in RAM depending on where the pictures happened to have been stored for that second of two.

For every scenario you have to ask yourself where the bad RAM locations are, what potential corruption they can cause, and where can that corruption be corrected later. If you don't have parity or checksums or something(such as laptop or desktop memory) than whatever is in RAM that's bad is bad forever. There's no second copy anywhere to prove that anything went bad or that what you have is good. So your computer simply assumes that whatever bits it gets must be good.

I've strongly considered going with ECC RAM on my desktop(SR-2) because after seeing how much non-ECC RAM sucks I'm reconsidering it. I just don't like the performance penalty. :)

Nomad

Contributor
Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Ordered 4x4GB EEC Ram. Turns out my Asus bord supports ECC and so does the AMD 1055T. Just installed everything into the Anect 900, very tight fit. Running a scrub I'm pulling about 150watts, with 100ish Idle most of that is the 6 core 145watt TDP AMD Chip.

So sold my Prod box and now am just working out of what was my testing unit with ECC support.

So after selling the Intel setup with 2x3TB Greens and 2x3TB Reds, I'm only out of pocket about $620 and down a desktop. Not a bad run.

Current Setup
AMD PII 1055T HexCore
16GB ECC DDR 1333
Asus M4A89GTD Pro: 6xSata 6Gb ports
6x4TB WD Red Drives RaidZ2 ~ 16TB
Plex with 1471 Movies and 131 TV Shows

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for helping me put this build together. Cybercock and The Grinch who stole thunders thunder. If you guys hadn't been such hard asses I might have wound up with a trashed system by not using ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.