BUILD 2 diffrent builds, which one would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshotto

Cadet
So I have played with freenas in the past. And now I have a good number or computers in my home (mac and windows) and wanted to have a deticated backup server. Previsously I ran freenas on VMware so I am new to building a hardware system.

So I currently have 2 1.5tb drives and 8gbs or ram to use in the new hardware build-I am torn between two diffrent setups..

My requirements are:
-I have to be able to tuck this system away for the time being but will be able to have it closer to the router at a later point in time (wifi now-wired later)
-This is going to primarly serve as a backup for my home computers personal files-for now, I want to be able to stream content from it at a later date (backup now-media server later)
-Cheap as can be but still be functional.
-Expandable.

Now with these requirements I have came to two diffrent builds, one AMD and the other intel...both are about the same price but both have diffrent features and im kinda torn.

AMD.
this build has a higher clocked cpu, can be expanded to 32gb and 4 sata @6gb/s. It dosent have dual nics, or wifi (I have nurmous usb wifi adapters to try)
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=19527591

INTEL.
this build has a slower clocked cpu, can be expanded to 16gb and 2 sata @3gb/s and 2 sata @6gb/s, dual nics, built in wifi & bluetooth (both of which I dont know if freenas supports.)
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=22014245

Given that I am going to tuck this nas away and use wifi for a while I know right off the bat thats the bottleneck. But Im also thinking longterm and it will be wired at somepoint.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You might have gotten more responses if you hadn't provided links to a NewEgg wishlist that requires your login and password to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.