1tb is messing

Hello everyone,

Im new here, i just build my nas last week ago so basically im noob, i installed Truenas core at the beginning and after two days i decided to go with the scale, after moving to scale i tried to delete iocage files so ican have more space, the files disappeared but still the storage space are missing, i have 4tb and 2tb, so total of 6th but it's only show 5.3tb ? almost 700gb is missing, i hope if there is someone who can help me solve this issue, and sorry for the language and dump questions.

WN1X

Explorer
The missing space is probably being held in snapshots, assuming you performed an upgrade from Core to Scale.

The missing space is probably being held in snapshots, assuming you performed an upgrade from Core to Scale.
Screenshot_20231026_171116_Samsung Internet.jpg

there is 0 snapshots

probain

Patron
Are you really sure that there are no snapshots? Better to view them through Data Protection / Snapshots. That would give you a complete view. Rather on a per dataset level.
1698476138138.png

probain

Patron
Assuming that there isn't any rounding/conversions between Terrabytes (TB) and Tibbibytes (TiB). Maybe you have partitions claiming some space?
It would be great if you could show outputs/screenshots of your Storage section for starters. Or better yet, the output of:
Code:
zpool list -v
as root in a shell/terminal

Davvo

MVP
Assuming that there isn't any rounding/conversions between Terrabytes (TB) and Tibbibytes (TiB). Maybe you have partitions claiming some space?
It would be great if you could show outputs/screenshots of your Storage section for starters. Or better yet, the output of:
Code:
zpool list -v
as root in a shell/terminal

Attachments

• 20231028_142223.jpg
    20231028_142223.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 51

Davvo

MVP
Is what I see degraded stripe? You have bigger problems than the space issue here.

Please read the following resources:

Not to sound blunt, but I think you might be better off using something like Unraid.

Or slow down and research the fundamentals of ZFS, redundancy, and TrueNAS in general before you dive in. As @Davvo pointed out, you seem to be confusing TB for TiB, and on top of that you've precariously created a pool with no redundancy (just slapping two drives in basically a "JBOD"-style configuration.)

Mark our words: You WILL lose all your data like this.

Not to sound blunt, but I think you might be better off using something like Unraid.

Or slow down and research the fundamentals of ZFS, redundancy, and TrueNAS in general before you dive in. As @Davvo pointed out, you seem to be confusing TB for TiB, and on top of that you've precariously created a pool with no redundancy (just slapping two drives in basically a "JBOD"-style configuration.)

Mark our words: You WILL lose all your data like this.
i know that unraid will be better option for me, but for now paid software is out of my budget, so that's why im using truenas, i also thought about xpenology but I'm hesitant because i heard that it's not stable

Just consider: If you value your data, at minimum you should use redundancy and have an easy to access backup.

As for the "lost space", @Davvo pointed out that it lands in the ballpark of converting from TiB to TB. (There's also other factors, such as ZFS overhead, swap partitions, etc.)

Davvo

MVP
i know that unraid will be better option for me, but for now paid software is out of my budget, so that's why im using truenas, i also thought about xpenology but I'm hesitant because i heard that it's not stable
Okay, very quick crash course (you should read the linked resources anyway):​
  • A group of drives is called a VDEV, one or more VDEVs make a POOL;​
  • Except for MIRROR, you can't change the composition of a VDEV once you create it (like adding a drive or changing the parity);​
  • If you lose a VDEV, you lose your entire POOL (VDEVs are striped);​
  • In order to lose a VDEV, you must lose more drives than the parity of the VDEV can withstand (RAIDZ1 has 1 parity drive, RAIDZ2 has 2, RAIDZ3 has 3);​
  • TrueNAS requires avoiding certain hardware, and ZFS is not compatible with SMR drives (you need CMR ones);​
  • ZFS requires leaving at the very least 15% of a POOL's total space empty in order not to let performance die.​
Right now one of your two striped drives (which have different sizes, not reccomended btw) has been marked as faulty by TN: since there is no parity in a striped VDEV, if the situation worsen you will lose access to the pool.

I suggest taking a step back and checking wheter you have the proper hardware to use TN before nuking the current pool and creating a new one with at least a parity drive (if this is not acceptable there is also a way to get a sort of redundance on the individual drives' basis, but it requires losing half the space of the pool).​

Last edited: