1st day with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamnoodle

Cadet
Hi,

So I set up a freenas server after buying some new components and set up Freenas 8. After a lengthy issue regarding a CF card and a lack of IP, I eventually got the machine running and receiving files.

My main reason for the set up was to tidy up the Media I had and back up my Imac with a time machine style feature. I also wanted to run an Itunes server and also a torrent client. I was under the impression that Freenas would be the best thing for all this.....

After reading several blogs and forum posts, I'm beginning to get the idea that I shouldn't have installed Freenas 8. I think I should have had the latest build of Freenas 7 as these features worked well. I'm an absoloute noob when it comes to Networking, Open Source and unix, so this has been a challenge, to say the least, with all the card issues I had and Network card problems, I'm kinda half glad I have the machine set up and running as we speak, but I do feel a little short changed as 3 of the main reasons I wanted the system aren't working...
Are other people able to set up Time capsule on their Freenas? What about an Itunes server or a torrent client? Im sure a lot of experienced users who know a little about code are perfectly happy with what they can do with their machines, but would I be more suited to version 7? I want the best performing machine possible and know nothing about code. Please let me know what you think......

Durkatlon

Patron
Time Machine works on FN8. The other stuff works out of the box on FN7, but not on 8 (yet).

ProtoSD

MVP
What about an Itunes server or a torrent client?

There is a special release one of the developers is working on releasing that has transmission and minidlna. You can build it from source now, but there's a link somewhere here where he said he was planning to distribute the release using torrents.

Anyway, it's probably not the best solution for you anyway. You are probably correct in saying that FN7 would have been the better choice.

Teamnoodle

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to try version 7 when I get a chance, I had the extra RAM installed, so we shall see, at the moment I can't log into the IP to view settings, but the drive is available so I'm a bit stumped as to why......

Status
Not open for further replies.