11.2U4 broke my jail mounts

Kevo

Dabbler
After update my jails were not running. Error when trying to start manually mentioned something about the mounts not being correct. I went in to the mount points and tried to reset them by picking the proper locations in the interface and that didn't work either.

Reverted to U3 and they are working again.

If you have jails set up you might want to wait on U4.

hervon

Patron
Updated from U3 to U4 without issue. My mount points are all working fine. Jails : Urbackup, Plex, MiniDLNA, Transmission.

Kevo

Dabbler
Are those all plugin jails? My jails were hand crafted. One is a basic webserver with apache. The other runs java and streambaby for my TiVo. They were created in the old interface, then migrated with the script I found on the forum when they were moved to iocage. Then there was a problem with them being corrupted by the U2 update if IIRC, but there was an easy fix for that which was figured out by one of the dev team. U3 was a painless update with no problems. And not the mountpoints went kablooey with U4. No idea why, but I can't imagine I'm the only one that will run into this. There were quite a few of us with the corrupt settings issue in U2. Hopefully it won't be too big a deal, but I would like to find out what is different between my jail mounts and yours.

TiboTake

Dabbler
Afte the Update are the Button Jails and Plugins - installed or available is inactive. i can click but nothing work.
My Jails and Plugins work fine. (Plex....)

hervon

Patron
@Kevo. Hand crafted jails updated and upgraded.

hervon

Patron
Afte the Update are the Button Jails and Plugins - installed or available is inactive. i can click but nothing work.
My Jails and Plugins work fine. (Plex....)

Clear browser cache. May help.

Alecmascot

Guru
I had the same issue :
Work around is to delete iocage fstab entries for the jail in the cli, then use the gui to add the mount points back. After that the jail will start and the mount points are displayed correctly in the gui instead of being all on one line.

Bug Report has been opened NAS-101668

Salty Goat

Cadet
After update my jails were not running. Error when trying to start manually mentioned something about the mounts not being correct. I went in to the mount points and tried to reset them by picking the proper locations in the interface and that didn't work either.

Reverted to U3 and they are working again.

If you have jails set up you might want to wait on U4.
I updated from 11.2 U3 to U4 and my jail and plugin buttons would not work in the UI. I found someone else had this problem and suggested that I clear my browser cache. It worked within 30 seconds and almost no fuss.

ThreeDee

Guru
Tautulli, Plex, and Unifi working just fine after U4 update.. both "hand crafted" jails and regular (yet modified) plugin

jerryjharrison

Explorer
I also had the problem of my purpose built, IOCAGE jails not starting. Clearly the error is tied to FSTAB mounts, and i am getting an error that one of the mount points does not exist (it clearly does). I tried to delete the mount points in U4, via the CLI, and am getting the error that the mount point does not exist... See the attachment.

I revert back to U3 and everything works perfectly. I don't have time right now, but will test the ability to delete the mount points via the CLI in U3, and then recreate them via the GUI in U4. This is clearly a bug, which I would file, but my credentials at the new site are not working, and the reset password email never comes...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.33.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.33.13 AM.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 315

Kevo

Dabbler
Thanks for the workaround Alecmascot. I'll give that a shot when I can take the system offline again for a bit.

sotiris.bos

Explorer
I am getting this error upon jail start and subsequent failure to start:

Code:
The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 166, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1097, in call_method
    return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1042, in _call
    return await self._call_worker(name, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1062, in _call_worker
    return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 996, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 972, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
iocage_lib.ioc_exceptions.ValidationFailed: ['Dump: rw must be a digit!', 'Dump: rw must be one digit long!', 'Pass: rw must be a digit!', 'Pass: rw must be one digit long!']

Any ideas?

Edit: Fixed. fstab mount points of jails had rw rw rw instead of rw 0 0. I might have done this long ago at jail creation when I thought it was permissions for user group other. Was never a problem until now though.

Last edited:

spotcatbug

Dabbler
I had the same issue :
Work around is to delete iocage fstab entries for the jail in the cli, then use the gui to add the mount points back. After that the jail will start and the mount points are displayed correctly in the gui instead of being all on one line.

Bug Report has been opened NAS-101668

I also had this same issue.

Using the CLI, I was unable to use "iocage fstab -r [jail name] [entry #]" (got the same malformed entry errors as in the GUI.)

To delete the fstab entries for the jail, I had to use "iocage fstab -e [jail name]" to edit the whole fstab and delete the lines.

Now I need to figure out why my (now running) plex jail won't play any movies. Grrrrrr. Edit: the Plex issue was an unrelated problem with the Plex client I was using.

Last edited:

Kija

Cadet
I've run into this issue as well. Since the rehaul, small but painful bugs like this one show up in every update. These are probably hard to catch during testing, but the frequency of these small bugs is becoming a bit annoying.

Alecmascot

Guru
To delete the fstab entries for the jail, I had to use "iocage fstab -e [jail name]" to edit the whole fstab and delete the lines.
Yes, I was not very clear in my original post... that is what I did.
Thanks for clarifying

Kevo

Dabbler
I was also able to get my jails back up and running by deleting the lines in the fstab and adding the mounts back through the GUI.

hoserama

Dabbler
Upgraded from U3 to U4 this evening, no issues with any of the jails associated with my plugins.

raidflex

Guru
I've run into this issue as well. Since the rehaul, small but painful bugs like this one show up in every update. These are probably hard to catch during testing, but the frequency of these small bugs is becoming a bit annoying.

Well when a fix is found for a more serious bug like this I would hope a hot fix is released. But going by previous issues it will probably be in the next version which could be months down the road.

spotcatbug

Dabbler
I don't wish to derail this too far, but my experience is that the NAS aspects of FreeNAS are pretty rock solid, with respect to updates. Jails... not so much. With FreeNAS, I see jails and VMs as bonus, "use at your own risk" features. As if the FreeNAS team realizes there's probably going to be a lot of wasted cycles if you can't do these things on your NAS server, so they build it in, but you have to remember it's really just an amazing NAS, not a general purpose server.

That kind of fits with the hotfix situation. If there was a more-NAS-related issue, you bet there'd be a hotfix. Jail and VM problems can wait until the next update, especially if there's a work-around, or not a lot of people are affected.

raidflex

Guru
That kind of fits with the hotfix situation. If there was a more-NAS-related issue, you bet there'd be a hotfix. Jail and VM problems can wait until the next update, especially if there's a work-around, or not a lot of people are affected.

It would be one thing if it was a smaller issue with the jail system. But mount point are a major part of the jail system. While yes this is a NAS first, the jail system is not marked as "beta" and therefore should be treated as stable software. It also would be one thing if the update added "NEW" functionality and there was an issue, but this is not the case.