SOLVED Jail storage not mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtK

Patron
Hey,
on one of the jails I have 3 mounted points. 1st & thirds on the list work fine, but the 2nd on the list is not automatically mounted on boot.

if I manually check the "mounted?" and click OK, it mounts it without any issue.

and every other jail, the mounts point mount fine as well...

Yatti420

Wizard
Any spaces in the source/directory paths?

MtK

Patron
There were spaces but I removed them... And even rebooted...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
You could try rebooting the jail on the command line and see if any errors get logged to the console.

MtK

Patron
problem solved!
I found another unwanted space... :)

Yatti420

Wizard
Glad it's resolved.. It's usually something simple when it doesn't mount from GUI.. I don't think FreeNAS/FreeBSD like the spaces very much...

MtK

Patron
I wonder why isn't there a log that shows the actual error.
not in the GUI (since most user will use the click-and-forget method), but also not in the shell itself...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Glad it's resolved.. It's usually something simple when it doesn't mount from GUI.. I don't think FreeNAS/FreeBSD like the spaces very much...

Honestly, aside from OSX and Windows95+ spaces have been abhorred in file names. Virtually every other OS has stuck with hyphens or underscores. This issue is becoming an issue because we got all these newbies showing up here that haven't been properly indoctrinated with some of the intricacies of being outside Windows/OSX, so they're having to learn these lessons the hard way.

MtK

Patron
don't get me wrong, I'm not saying spaces should be accepted.
I'm saying it might be this or any other 'stupid' mistake, but the user has no clue about it, besides ”it's not working” and that is all he'll post in the forum.

MtK

Patron
now from the side of someone who's trying to help the poor newbie, you have nothing to say to him but "I tried and it works".
you can't even tell him to give you more details or errors - and that's my point...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm with you. Alot of errors are filtered out by the WebGUI. We get plenty of threads complaining about the warden messages in the WebGUI footer. It also may depend on your logging verbosity setting.

Does it suck that these problems are occurring? Yes.

Unfortunately, it kind of goes back to what I said about some intricacies that the developers took for granted are intricacies newbies don't know to avoid. I was simply trying to make the comment that this situation exists. Not that someone was responsible for solving or that someone should be faulted for it.

Do I think that if spaces were the problem it's a stupid mistake? Well, yes and no. Yes because spaces should be avoided for Unix filenames. But no because you might not know better.

Let's face it, any time you start dealing with a new operating systems there's going to be intricacies with the OS that you will have to learn. For many people, you may have only used one OS professionally for your entire life. This may be their very first experience with a new operating system ever. So you take so many things for granted that us old folks that were around pre Windows 95 when file names were 8-dot-3 characters and couldn't have spaces will never take for granted. Or the guys that have used hardcore Unix and not this fluffed up FreeBSD stuff.

There's alot to learn. Some will learn the hard way. Some learned their lessons decades ago. Some will luck out and never learn the lesson because they happened to always get it right.

MtK

Patron
yes I agree, but it seems like you are missing my point.

it doesn't matter if the error is a space or a comma or a more critical/stupid error. there should be a log stating something about it - regardless of my (as a user) environmental skills (under this OS).

Status
Not open for further replies.