11.2 beta plugin updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
Hope this is the right place for this topic.
I would like to know if it will be more beneficial (easier) to use the iocage plugin system in the coming releases / pre releases vs manually created jails with pkg and ports. Will these plugins be kept up to date? If installed from a plugin will we see an update button as we used to in warden plugins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supposedly they will be kept updated, but if you're comfortable with installing from pkg there's no huge benefit to be gained from moving over for now.

diskdiddler

Wizard
According to Dru on the bug tracker, they're going to try and keep them up to date and refreshed, every time there's a release (like 11.1 to 11.2 and 11.2 to 11.3 etc) (Doubt they'd do it for the little U1,U2 but who knows?)

I imagine this could be a lot of work once they reach a certain quantity of them.

SavageAUS

Patron
I would be more than happy to help keep the plugins up to date once shown how lol.

diskdiddler

Wizard
There's actually great section in the 11.2 user guide on how to make your own iocage plugin. Please take a look: https://doc.freenas.org/11.2/plugins.html#create-a-plugin
I'm REALLY hoping to learn how to do this in the coming months when I get time.

I'd really like to see a comprehensive list of good plugins as time goes on, I really think with docker, better plugins and VM support, we're going to see adoption pick up in the home lab community.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Jurgen, how does one "create an artifact repository" and how can I do this, without frustrating or disturbing other FreeNAS developers and users, were I to 'fiddle around' and make something?
(I do have a github account)

Status
Not open for further replies.