10gig nic setup file sharing

ali_v001

Dabbler
Hey, I am wondering if anyone could recommend the best way to set up my FreeNAS box with my 10GB nic whilst also connected to 1GB.

I have two 1g nics on the motherboard and have purchased a 10gig. Primarily sharing storage via smb, but would like this to work for other protocols in the future.

I have a 10g switch and a 1g switch both connected to my router. The FreeNAS box is connected - 2 x 10GB - 10GB switch & 2 x1GB - 1GB switch. Workstations that will be reading and writing to the FreeNAS box are connected to the 10GB. I will be aggregating the ports soon maybe just the 10GB and use the 1g for different things

It would be great to only use the 1g for management of FreeNAS GUI & the webgui's of plugins/jails. Whilst the 10GB ports are used primarily for file transfers via my pools.

Is this something that should be set up in FreeNAS itself, or at the router / switch level, or on the clients? If there are multiple ways of doing it what would be recommended? A step by step guide or video tutorial would be great as I do get a little overwhelmed with this

I suppose I am mainly trying to avoid file traffic going down the 1gb nic. If it ispossible centrally managed via FreeNAS would be ideal so workstation client management can be kept as minimal as possible

Hellione

Explorer
As Linus would say: It.... depends. :wink: Your system, the expected load, the user count, redundancy needed, vms, ... everything.
Tell everything about your usage case, and you will get some advice from those nice members here.

ali_v001

Dabbler
Hi, I have added all this info to my signature, please let me know if any further info is needed

Hellione

Explorer
If you do not have a separate management ip/subnet, i would not use the 1G´s at all.
Webguis dont eat up any noticeable bandwith.
If your switch supports (layer2) it, setup link aggregation (lacp, active) for 2 of the 10G ports.
Then configure link aggregation on truenas, and insert both 10G ports.
Then link up at least one of the cables from truenas to switch, and configure your ip.
That is basically what you need for a redundant and load balancing dual 10G connection.

ali_v001

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply, if I was to go down the separate subnet route, what would I need? Or is this out of the scope of FreeNAS?
For example, say I wanted my replication or backup to only go down the 1gb links

Hellione

Explorer
you could configure a 1G trunk the same way. if you use another subnet for this and the backup machine,
you also use this new secondary ip to connect to the backup server in the same subnet. so it will automatically use the 1g lagg connection, cause it can´t communicate to the secondary ip over the 10G trunk with the primary ip. and vice versa.
example:
lagg0 (10G) 10.0.0.1 > client machines in net 10.0.0.0
lagg1 (1G) 10.0.1.1 > backup machine in net 10.0.1.0

Last edited:

ali_v001

Dabbler
Thanks, I think I may need to read up on subnets in more detail. I think it may come down to simplicity over complexity and just use the 10gb nics in the end, but always good to know I have at least considered/thought about other options. Networking confusion/ignorance on my part.
If there are any tutorials available that anyone knows of, user friendly ideally FreeNAS orientated, geared towards separate subnets, this would be great