10Gbit Networking NICs Not Appearing in Network Interface

LaChosen1

Cadet
Hello, I am new to FreeNAS and have been doing a lot of forum and manual reading to try and figure out this OS. I have set up my 5 HDDs in stripe mode for best speeds. Unfortunately my onboard 1Gbit NIC is fully saturated by this. I have 2 additional NICs that are 10Gbit capable. A Mellanox mt25408a0-fcc-qi connectx and a Trendnet teg-10gectx. These NICs do not show up when I access the GUI under Network, then Interface. My first thought is that they may not be compatible with FreeNAS. I do see them when I run "pciconf -lv" in the shell.

My research so far has lead me to believe that my Trendnet is probably not compatible and my Mellanox may be compatible if I switch it over to Ethernet mode. I am unfamiliar on how to do that, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I read I might have to add something to the Tunable, but I have no idea what I might mess up if I add something wrong.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Do you have a mlx4en0 or mlx5en0 entry when you run ifconfig -a? If so, the driver is built-in to the FreeNAS kernel. If not, /boot/kernel only has the InfiniBand drivers, and the Mellanox NIC isn't supported in Ethernet mode.