SOLVED zpool not using gptids

bobpaul

Dabbler
Today I noticed that one of our FreeNAS systems is showing /dev/da[0-5]p2 device names instead of gptid/[uuid] device names. See:

Code:
# zpool status storage
  pool: storage
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 07:33:27 with 0 errors on Sun Dec  8 07:34:03 2019
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    storage     ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        da4p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da5p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da0p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da1p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da3p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        da2p2   ONLINE       0     0     0

Also weird... the disks are GPT partitioned, ex:

Code:
# gpart show da5
=>        34  5860533101  da5  GPT  (2.7T)
          34          94       - free -  (47K)
         128     4194304    1  freebsd-swap  (2.0G)
     4194432  5856338696    2  freebsd-zfs  (2.7T)
  5860533128           7       - free -  (3.5K)

but they don't show in glabel status

I understand this to be bad if the device order ever changes between bootups (ex da4 is missing so da5 from last boot shows as da4 this boot). I'm not sure how we got in this situation as I'm rather certain we used the webui when we setup this pool many years ago, but whatever... I'm now wondering what the best way out of this is.

I figure using the webui I should be able to offline da5 and then re-add (triggering a resilver) it and I'd expect it to show up with its gptid. But is there a better way that doesn't involve resilver (maybe there's something I can do by exporting, fixing whatever's preventing them the disks from having gptids, then then re-importing the pool)?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
FreeNAS usually hides the GPTID in zpool status, but does often lose the ability to do that and shows GPTIDs again.

Underneath the hood, FreeNAS only cares about the GPTID, so the ada/da numbering matters for nothing in the end other than a human convenience for reference.

Don't be concerned.

bobpaul

Dabbler
FreeNAS usually hides the GPTID in zpool status, but does often lose the ability to do that and shows GPTIDs again.

In the WebUI, sure. But I'm seeing this in zpool status from the shell. When I run the shell command on our other FreeNAS boxes it shows the GPT IDs. I don't think the FreeNAS developers patched the zpool command, did they? I imagine the translation from GPTID to device name in the WebUI is handled by the middleware.

My suspicion is that someone on our team did something from the shell instead of from the WebUI at some point and it went unnoticed until now.

sretalla