Zpool not releasing all available deleted space

gearhead

Contributor
There is a lot of discussion on this forum & questions about zpool not reporting/releasing all the space from deleted files. I experienced this first hand. I have a 4TB pool for media files. It got filled up to 95%. I created another pool (8TB) moved some of the files (200GB) to the new pool. Zpool reported about 24GB of additional space. I tried this several time with moving additional files. Each time zpool reported a fraction of the deleted files storage. I move all the file to the new pool and deleted and recreated the old pool. I copied all the files back to it, zpool reported approximately 800GB more available storage space than prior to reformatting. I verified that all files were copied. This is just an observation.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There is a lot of discussion on this forum & questions about zpool not reporting/releasing all the space from deleted files. I experienced this first hand. I have a 4TB pool for media files. It got filled up to 95%. I created another pool (8TB) moved some of the files (200GB) to the new pool. Zpool reported about 24GB of additional space. I tried this several time with moving additional files. Each time zpool reported a fraction of the deleted files storage. I move all the file to the new pool and deleted and recreated the old pool. I copied all the files back to it, zpool reported approximately 800GB more available storage space than prior to reformatting. I verified that all files were copied. This is just an observation.
You can check used stats for the dataset you're using for storing media by running the command zfs get -o space <dataset name>. This will give a breakdown of how space is being used (snapshots, reservations, etc, etc). You may have snapshots eating up space.

gearhead

Contributor
You can check used stats for the dataset you're using for storing media by running the command zfs get -o space <dataset name>. This will give a breakdown of how space is being used (snapshots, reservations, etc, etc). You may have snapshots eating up space.
Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that there were no snapshots in that pool.

gearhead

Contributor
Thank you. Next time.

gearhead

Contributor
@anodos my pool name bkup when I try zpool get freeing bkup I get an error message cannot open 'bkup: no such pool'.