Zpool import failed: One or more devices are missing from the system.

randio

Cadet
1 of 6 hdds failed completely in my raidz1.
For freenas the pool state was unknown, so I checked (one drive was missing, replaced it and hoped I could start to resilver)
and got that:
Code:
zpool import                                                                                                   
   pool: Data                                                                                                                       
     id: 9166554536616071340                                                                                                       
  state: FAULTED                                                                                                                   
 status: One or more devices are missing from the system.                                                                           
 action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing                                                                           
        devices and try again.                                                                                                     
        The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using                                                         
        the '-f' flag.                                                                                                             
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C                                                                                         
 config:                                                                                                                           

Data                                            FAULTED  corrupted data                                                     
          raidz1-0                                      DEGRADED                                                                   
            gptid/852cfabd-72d5-11e7-84ad-d050991da55c  ONLINE                                                                     
            3667333138167715499                         UNAVAIL  cannot open                                                       
            gptid/86b34e04-72d5-11e7-84ad-d050991da55c  ONLINE                                                                     
            gptid/875e0bee-72d5-11e7-84ad-d050991da55c  ONLINE                                                                     
            gptid/880ff56e-72d5-11e7-84ad-d050991da55c  ONLINE                                                                     
            gptid/88d2961f-72d5-11e7-84ad-d050991da55c  ONLINE

Nothing I found online helped.
I hope there is a way to restore the data.(there are way more fun things, to do than driving a small server across the country to restore backups)

Thanks in advance.

action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing devices and try again. The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using the '-f' flag.
If you cannot find the faulted disk the command mentioned above may be your best bet. You should prioritize replacing that drive ASAP since you're using RAIDZ1 and if you lose a second drive the entire vdev and thus pool goes down entirely.

You tried zpool import -f <pool>? Can you copy-paste the output?

How did you replace the disk? If you did so by just replacing the disk but without doing anything in the CLI or GUI that will not accomplish your goal most likely. If you did it via the CLI, you will want to re-replace the drive via the GUI to make sure that all of the partitions etc that FreeNAS expects are set up properly during resilvering.

randio

Cadet
Code:
zpool import -f Data                                         
cannot import 'Data': I/O error                                                 
        Destroy and re-create the pool from                                     
        a backup source.

I have not yet replced the disc in the cli.(If I understand this correctly the pool must be imported first, before you can replace the drive and start resilvering)

Interesting, is the output above the complete and full output of zpool import? If there was any further output below that would you mind including the complete output? Also, what about zpool import -Fn? That will do a dry run of discarding the last few transactions and determine whether that would make it importable. I'm not sure this will be related to your issue, but the -n flag should make it inert..

randio

Cadet
Yes that was the full output.
running it with -Fn produced the same output as zpool import

danb35

Hall of Famer
The command should be zpool import -Ffn Data. The -f flag overrides the "last used with another system" issue. The -F flag tries to make it import even with corrupt data, and can potentially result in loss of some data (typically the most recent several transactions). The -n flag tells it to simply determine whether it will be able to complete the process, but not actually do it. Post the complete output of that command and we'll see what it says.

randio

Cadet
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import -Ffn Data                                       
[root@freenas ~]# echo $?                                                       
1                                                                               
[root@freenas ~]# 

I get nothing and exit code 1

randio

Cadet
I have created a new Pool and started to restore my backup (now on a z2 pool).

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me.