ZFS Replication Failed... wait no? umm maybe sorta kinda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
I saw some people said that Replication is better than rsync on the LAN. I have been trying for a few days now to get this setup and no matter what I do, it fails. I have tried to follow the manual and other guides but no luck.

Currently, data is moving but I have an error. No idea what it means.

Code:
CRITICAL: Replication Vol1 -> 192.168.2.11:Vol1 failed: Failed: No ECDSA host key is known for 192.168.2.11 and you have requested strict checking. Host key verification failed.

Fuganater

Patron
Any thoughts?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What is in the remote hostkey section of the replication task? Did you run the SSH Key Scan?

Fuganater

Patron
What is in the remote hostkey section of the replication task? Did you run the SSH Key Scan?
Hit the button? Yes I tried that and it flat out failed. This time I copied the key from the receiving box to the pushing box and it is transferring but I have that error.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Fuganater

Patron
Ok I tried a few things and nothing seems to be working. I'm going to post a step by step of what I am doing. Obviously I am doing something wrong and I probably screwed up my systems like woah.

Fuganater

Patron
Ok lets go through this step by step. Here is a SS of the last task I attempted.

Main server is 192.168.2.10, backup is 192.168.2.11. I am using the root user by default as he has all the accesses.

upload_2015-12-30_22-21-30.png

Here is the page. Everything looks right. I used the "SSH Key Scan" button when I created it and it looks like it grabbed the SSH-rsa key and the ECDSA-SHA2 key.

upload_2015-12-30_22-23-3.png

So clearly something isn't working. I tried the "ssh -vv -i /data/ssh/replication 192.168.2.11" from the main server and it is asking me for a password. Here is where I get lost as I am not at all familiar with FreeBSD CLI.

Code:
This command should not ask for a password. If it asks for a password, SSH authentication is not working. Go to Storage ‣ Replication Tasks and click the “View Public Key” button. Make sure that it matches one of the values in /~/.ssh/authorized_keys on PULL, where ~ represents the home directory of the replication user.

Not sure what this is saying. I see the Public Key but IDK how to see what is in that "authorized_keys" list. I guess the Public Key on 192.168.2.10 needs to match or be added to that file on 192.168.2.11? How would I do that?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Did you add the right key to the root user?

Fuganater

Patron

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm mobile, so I don't have ready access, but the steps are in the manual.

Fuganater

Patron
I'm mobile, so I don't have ready access, but the steps are in the manual.
Sorry I am not finding it. Nothing in the manual (that I can find) talks about giving a SSH key to the root user. I also don't understand where the key starts. Does it start at the IP? the ssh-rsa? or just the numbers/letters?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Fuganater

Patron
Ok, I'm an idiot. I figured that out out. Take the PUSH key, put it on the root user of both systems (I think that is right).

Sadly though it flat out failed.
CRITICAL: Replication Vol1 -> 192.168.2.11:Backup failed: Failed: Vol1 (auto-20151224.1845-2w)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What version are you running? Look at the network and disk performance reports to confirm whether or not the backup is really running out not ( there was a big fixed a couple weeks ago that addressed this issue). What about the command line ssh test? Did that work?

Fuganater

Patron
Both are running the most updated 9.3.STABLE

So before it was working but still prompted me with the critical error. I saw activity on both systems and could verify I saw the data on the Backup system.

I did try the SSH test above and had a question no one answered.

Code (text):
  1. This command should not ask for a password. If it asks for a password, SSH authentication is not working. Go to Storage ‣ Replication Tasks and click the “View Public Key” button. Make sure that it matches one of the values in /~/.ssh/authorized_keys on PULL, where ~ represents the home directory of the replication user.
Not sure what this is saying. I see the Public Key but IDK how to see what is in that "authorized_keys" list. I guess the Public Key on 192.168.2.10 needs to match or be added to that file on 192.168.2.11? How would I do that?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Ok, I'm an idiot. I figured that out out. Take the PUSH key, put it on the root user of both systems (I think that is right).

Sadly though it flat out failed.
CRITICAL: Replication Vol1 -> 192.168.2.11:Backup failed: Failed: Vol1 (auto-20151224.1845-2w)
Did you retry the cli ssh test after fixing this?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Both are running the most updated 9.3.STABLE

So before it was working but still prompted me with the critical error. I saw activity on both systems and could verify I saw the data on the Backup system.

I did try the SSH test above and had a question no one answered.
This was exactly the question I answered with the link to the document. The reason you paste the users key is to be able to ssh.

Fuganater

Patron
Yes but I think I have to add the key to that file which I do not know how to do. I guess I need to google how to edit a file via CLI in FreeBSD. Once I get in the PULL system I need to paste the PUSH systems SSH key there.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uhh.. if you are having to edit files from the CLI with FreeNAS, you are using FreeNAS wrong.

Fuganater

Patron
Uhh.. if you are having to edit files from the CLI with FreeNAS, you are using FreeNAS wrong.
Then by all means please point out why this crap does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.